Removing sub domains

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We are looking to create 2 content pillars wihch will be a combination of landing pages, blogs and knowledge share components. 

EVerything that we are reading says it is better to create the content under our normal domain name rather than under the blog.[  company name  ].com and engage.[ company name ].com sites.  Is there any way to create blogs and landing pages under our standard URL's rather than the hubspot engage and blog sub domains.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Regular Advisor | Gold Partner

Hi @rupertcarlyon 

I agree, having all your content on one domain (not using a sub domain) is the best way to go for SEO and User Experience.

You cannot currently use HubSpot's blog on a subfolder (domain.com/blog) rather than a subdomain (blog.domain.comunless you use HubSpot Content Management System (CMS).

What Content Management System(CMS) do you currently use?

Mike

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

unfortunately we don't use the Hubspot CMS, so it looks as though it might be a bit hard...

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

So you only use HubSpot for the subdomains and not the www portion?

Without connecting the www, there isn't any way to put HubSpot content on there.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

There's a ton of info out there, not all reliable, related to SEO on the sub or root domains. Some of those articles are regurgitations of other articles going back as far as 2008.

Google's official webmaster videos say they treat both the same and there is no difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGDyAN9g-g

From time to time you'll also see people commenting on malware, citing that a subdomain that has been tagged as an offender could affect the second level parent domain and label that entire domain affected too. That may be true, but it would be the same if you ran a blog under a subfolder as well - since it would be operating under that same parent as well. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

Again, from an earlier video on the topic directly from google webmaster support:

https://youtu.be/onNwqFa-e_s?t=2904

If you are just starting your blog, using a subdomain will make no difference to your rankings. You'll need to make sure your blog subdomain is verified in search console and you'll still want to submit sitemaps to help. So there are a few extra steps you'll want to be careful of.

I've done both with different sites we control internally and with different client sites. Personally, I like the organization of subdomains, especially when something like a blog is serving up content on more varied subjects than your parent domain.

I have to believe that moving a very established blog to a different subfolder or subdomain will have some serious short term effects and may take time to bring you back to base, though, admittedly, I have not run any controlled tests with the same or similar content to see which is better or whether moving from one to the other actually hurts.

At the end of the day, the best way to find out would be to test your own situation and adjust as necessary.

Either way, good luck!