Blog, Website & Page Publishing

Dizz
Participante

Moving blog to Hubspot and SERP rankings

resolver

Hello,

I'm wondering what the risk of losing our rankings is if we move from our wordpress blog to a hubspot blog.

The reporting advantages to moving to hubspot are huge. But we have several featured snippets and top ranked blog posts.  Some even get us significant traffic and are very valuable. I don't want to lose that value.

Currently we're set up as xxxx.com/blog. I know that if we move to hubspot it'd be blog.xxxx.com. 

First, I've seen that /blog/ is actually better for rankings? Is that true?

Second, would the new URL affect our ranking?

Would we be able to recover that ranking so long as we continue optimizing pages and how long would that take? 

0 Avaliação positiva
2 Solução aceitas
Phil_Vallender
Solução
Participante de valor | Parceiro Diamante

resolver

Hi @Dizz 

No one can say for sure what the impact of changing the URLs on your blog posts will have on your SERP rankings. 

I'm normally for moving to HubSpot becuase of the advantages as a tool. However, a subdomain is a unique domain in the eyes of Google and while I haven't personally observed large drops in traffic when moving to one, I have seen large gains when moving back to a single domain. 

If you have high rankings and featured snippets, the risk is obvisouly larger. 

I would like to believe the quality of your content and authority on the subject would be stronger in the eyes of Google than the negative impact of the subdomain, but one cannot be sure. 

The HubSpot CMS is a fantastic platform - is there any scope to move your whole site and not have to change the blog URL structure?

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

Exibir solução no post original

MFrankJohnson
Solução
Autoridade no assunto

resolver

Great question @Dizz ...

Completely agree with @Phil_Vallender ... "only the Shadow knows" ... 🙂

That being said, dunno what "huge" (your word) HubSpot blog reporting benefits to which you refer. And, can't imagine managing SEO at scale without thinking Google Analytics, so ...

The risks associated with moving to a subdomain should be carefully weighed against the potential benefits of moving to HubSpot over time. And that's what it will take to recover from such a move -- TIME. If you have a long-term strategy to mitigate the traffic disruption caused by moving to a subdomain, then go for it!

Finally, if you decide to move, this step-by-step post entitled, A Guide to Migrating Your Blog to HubSpot by @Stephanie-OG may give you some insight. Stephanie is a leading freelance HubSpot CMS Developer/Designer in the community and HubSpot Alumni.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

Exibir solução no post original

4 Respostas 4
MFrankJohnson
Solução
Autoridade no assunto

resolver

Great question @Dizz ...

Completely agree with @Phil_Vallender ... "only the Shadow knows" ... 🙂

That being said, dunno what "huge" (your word) HubSpot blog reporting benefits to which you refer. And, can't imagine managing SEO at scale without thinking Google Analytics, so ...

The risks associated with moving to a subdomain should be carefully weighed against the potential benefits of moving to HubSpot over time. And that's what it will take to recover from such a move -- TIME. If you have a long-term strategy to mitigate the traffic disruption caused by moving to a subdomain, then go for it!

Finally, if you decide to move, this step-by-step post entitled, A Guide to Migrating Your Blog to HubSpot by @Stephanie-OG may give you some insight. Stephanie is a leading freelance HubSpot CMS Developer/Designer in the community and HubSpot Alumni.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Dizz
Participante

resolver

Appreciate the blog reference @MFrankJohnson ! I will check it out.

The huge reporting benefits I refer to are specific to the way our business functions in that the sale occurs offline and is recorded step-by-step in the CRM by the rep.

It'd be much easier for us to trace a specific individual's steps from landing on a blog in January to onboarding in May if we move our blog to Hubspot. We can produce dashboards that weave that story right in front of us, instead of having to put the pieces together.  At least, that's the impression I get. We're still onboarding. 

Time is definitely the "scary" part, though. If it affects our inbound leads in a substantial way, how long does that last - but I guess that's really a question that only gets answered in a meaningful way when we make the move. 

Phil_Vallender
Solução

resolver

Hi @Dizz 

No one can say for sure what the impact of changing the URLs on your blog posts will have on your SERP rankings. 

I'm normally for moving to HubSpot becuase of the advantages as a tool. However, a subdomain is a unique domain in the eyes of Google and while I haven't personally observed large drops in traffic when moving to one, I have seen large gains when moving back to a single domain. 

If you have high rankings and featured snippets, the risk is obvisouly larger. 

I would like to believe the quality of your content and authority on the subject would be stronger in the eyes of Google than the negative impact of the subdomain, but one cannot be sure. 

The HubSpot CMS is a fantastic platform - is there any scope to move your whole site and not have to change the blog URL structure?

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
Dizz
Participante

resolver

Thank you, @Phil_Vallender  Right now moving the entire website is not an option but the blog is due to the way Hubspot structures their tiers. We're leaning toward moving the blog to Hubspot.

I also think as long as the quality is strong, Google will recognize that and reward the site accordingly. That's definitely how we got our strong rankings for certain keywords in the first place. 

0 Avaliação positiva