Blog, Website & Page Publishing

Capitel
Contributor

Migrating a blog from ghost.org to Hubspot COS

SOLVE

Hi,

My company has just started using Hubspot, and we've chosen to host both our website and our blog in Hubspot's COS.

The website project hasn't been a real migration: we've created an entirely new one. 

Our blog used to be on ghost.org. We have re-created a number of selected posts, but would now like to migrate most of the content in the most automated way possible.

Does anyone have experience with this? I've found instructions to export ghost content into a json that "only" loses images. It's a start. If we were to follow that road, the question would be whether there it's feasible to use Hubspot's API to import blog posts in bulk using the "create blog post method" https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/blogv2/post_blog_posts.

Any feedback is welcome!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Capitel
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi, it wasn't. Unfortunately we reached the conclusion that we would have to gradually repost only the best content that fits with our current strategy, eventually optimizing what can be improved.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
7 Replies 7
Capitel
Contributor

SOLVE

Another option we have discussed internally but seems an overkill is using WordPress as an interface.

Step 1: Migrate from ghost to WordPress

Step 2: Migrate from WordPress to Hubspot

This is counterintuitive but there is a lot more documentation on both steps than there is for the migration directly from ghost to Hubspot's COS

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: Migrate from Ghost [to WordPress] to HubSpot?

Short A: Depends on images, word count, and volume of posts.

Longer A:

If your blog content is image heavy (and it should be) -- at least 1 image for every 350 words -- and those images vary a lot in size, quality and compression you're gonna end up doing lots of manual image work anyway, so don't worry about which migration method helps with images.

This should not be interpreted to mean that images aren't important. To the contrary, they may be some of the most important content you transfer (or not). Consider, image size, quality, compression, file names, and alt tags are leading contributors to SEO on any blog. As such, close attention should be paid to this part of the transfer.

A good rule of thumb is "if the image doesn't ADD VALUE to the message, dump it". Conversely, if your content is lacking imagery you might reconsider your blog strategy.

NEW_Academy_Training_CTA.png

Enough said ... about images.

Word count and volume of posts are great opportunities to revisit your blog strategy when migrating your blog to HubSpot. Carefully consider that SEO has changed dramatically in recent years so ... think what works NOW (not 5 years ago).

- see  Pillar Pages: Landing Page, Web Page, or Blog Post

Need help. Just ask.

Help answer your question? If so, remember to accept this solution today.

Best,
Frank

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v03.png

www.MFrankJohnson.com

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Capitel
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for your reply Frank; I take it that there is no way to automate images when a blog is exported.

However, the focus of my question was really not images; rather, what's the best way to automate as much as possible, and whether the create post method is feasible in bulk.

srfyourselffree

SOLVE

Yeah, I agree that this doesn't at all answer the question. I am in this same position... I'd like to hear how this was resolved.

Capitel
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi, it wasn't. Unfortunately we reached the conclusion that we would have to gradually repost only the best content that fits with our current strategy, eventually optimizing what can be improved.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Short A: Depends on images, word count, and volume of posts.

#nlmtt, #nlmtu

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
srfyourselffree

SOLVE

migrating our company's blog, created on Ghost.org with approx 20-25 posts.

The images are less important as having to manually do it all myself via copy/paste.

0 Upvotes