Blog, Website & Page Publishing

LES

Menu Links Changed On Their Own- Domain Back to Default?

Hello, we have a website with HubSpot to which we have connected a domain. It has been active for weeks. Recently, we have run into an error that we don't understand. 

The domain seems to have 'fallen off' of our navigation menu, and exposes the 'default' URL. This brings up a 404 error whenever anyone tries to use our menu to navigate our page.

Nothing has changed or been changed with our DNS or our Website. This error seems to occur on its own without any interaction. When mousing over the links in the navigation menu, they display the incorrect domain but correct /pagename. 

When I access the navigation menu via Settings > Website > Tools >Website > Navigation, everything appears correct. Just to be safe, I reassign every link to its respective page and hit save. 

This fixes the navigation menu, despite nothing have been actually changed. When returning to the site and mousing over the navigation menu's links, the domain portion is now correct and the links now work. 

What could be causing this problem, and what can we do to avoid it happening in the future? Is this a setting somewhere that we need to update to ensure it doesn't happen? 

EDIT:
After looking into it more, we're now wondering if it has to do with our blog specifically. The blog was imported to HubSpot from our old WordPress instance. It seems that the blog link is the first to switch to the HubSpot default URL when the problem arises. 

EDIT 2:
I have created a new navigation menu. Instead assosciating pages via the dropdown menu, I used URLs to tell it which specific /pagename to link to. This seems to have cleared up the problem as-it-was for the moment. 

EDIT 3:
Out of the blue, the navigation started loading 404 for every page. When I switched navigation menus back to default it worked again, but brought back the blog error....

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
VCheung
Contributor

@LES$& @franksteiner79  - Did you ever find a resolution to this issue. We are experience your exact issue with our blog subdomain 
All menu links work perfectly until we navigate to our blog pages. When we want to navigate back it uses the subdomain urls which provides our 404.

news.topco.co.za and have also re-looked at our navigation menus but all is correct

Hope you can assist

0 Upvotes
franksteiner79
Key Advisor

Hi @LES 

Could you maybe provide a bit more detail, a screenshot and a URL the site in question where the menu change has appeared?

My initial questions would be:

• You are hosting your website on HubSpot?
  • What is your website URL?
  • You say "The domain seems to have 'fallen off' of our navigation menu" - what does that mean. It shows wrong URL links on hover over, the menu item has disappeared?
  • You mention the "default" URL, what do you mean by that? The HubSpot system URLs HubID.hs-sites.com or something else?
  • Could you share a screenshot of your domain settings, similar to the one below?

Thanks

Frank

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 07.37.15.png

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project
LES

Our site is hosted on HubSpot and was built in the builder there.

We attached our domain name to it once we finished designing it. However, for unknown reasons, sometimes the /blog link in our navigation menu will revert to the HubID.hs-sites.com link- and then after that, anyone who tries to use the site by visiting the home page will see that the links point to the HubID.hs-sites link with /pagename instead of our domain name, which results in a 404 error when trying to click the link. We change nothing. I am unable to force the problem to happen. Both times this problem has occured has been when we return from the weekend. 

The initial blog posts were imported from our old WordPress site, but everything else about the current site was made directly in HubSpot. 

domainconnection.PNG

0 Upvotes
franksteiner79
Key Advisor

Hi @LES 

Thanks for the additional context.

I can see that once I visit https://vmarkings.com/blog, all links in the menu are pointing to your HubSpot system domain and not your actual vmarkings.com domain.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 16.11.58.png

To be honest, I am not sure what would cause that. My best guess is either something in the menu module that is used in the blog listing template. Could you check if both the home page and blog listing menu are using the same global menu module?

Can you also check in Settings -> Tools -> Website -> Navigation if you have more than one menu setup?

Thanks

Frank

Found my comment helpful? Great! Please mark it as a solution to help other community users.

Frank Steiner

Marketeer | HubSpot Expert | CRM Consultant

InboundPro

Let's Talk About Your Project
0 Upvotes
LES

We only have one menu - 'default'. NaigationMenu.PNG

Each link is set to its page via the dropdown box, which is showing as vmarkings.com/pagename when I select it. 

Blog navigation header, mousing over Home shows it's pointing to the hubspot url... 

BlogHeader.PNG

And the same is true for the Blog's navigation.... 

HomepageNavigation.PNG

And on the live homepage each link is appropriately set to the vmarkings.com/ domain. 

HomeMenuLive.PNG

And yet when I click onto the blog... 

LiveBlog.PNG

So I checked my blog settings, here's what they look like: 

BlogSettings.PNG

So I went poking into the Settings section and found the Domains & URLs tab. I noticed this:

URLRedirects.PNG

I have no idea where this came from - I'm not the one who handled putting hte URL on our HubSpot site. Is it possible this is the root of the issue? 

0 Upvotes