Blog, Website & Page Publishing

RKneller
投稿者

Implications of migrating from theme copy -> child theme

Hello.

Our website is currently using a clone of a marketplace purchased theme. As it was a clone/copy, our site has been built in a version that is slowly falling behind the latest theme versions and updates. For example we're on v6.1 and the latest theme is v6.3.

As a result I'm weighing up the best way to get our site usng the latest version, but there's a few things I'm not sure on and would like to know first.

Migrating to a child theme from a theme copy

Luckily, it looks like we could migrate to a child theme, so our site is auto-updated with the latest updates and I wouldn't have to worry about future migrations. Only things I want to check are:

1. Do child themes allow bespoke templates and bespoke modules to be created or moved underneath them or is it only possible to use the parent's templates and modules? 

2. A lot of our standard theme modules are bespoked. Would we be able to move these bespoked modules to our child theme or have to use non-bespoked out of the box modules?

3. Can I also create / move our CSS file underneath a child theme?

4. Could I just get our current site clone to flowdown parent updates by updating our theme.json to extend from the path of the parent rather than null?

RKneller_0-1637080040165.png

Thank you in advance. 

Ryan

2件の返信
Techmenity
参加者

We have a very similar situation so I'll be following this thread. I've reached out to the theme developer to have them convert our copy to a child theme but they've been dragging their feet for a couple of weeks. I'm in need of a new developer to help us with the child theme conversion and to optimize other parts of the site. Anyone interested in a project? 

TiphaineCuisset
コミュニティーマネージャー
コミュニティーマネージャー

Hi @RKneller 

Thank you for reaching out.

I want to tag some of our experts on this - @Kevin-C @dbeau79 @lynton @miljkovicmisa do you have any recommendations to share with @RKneller on this? 

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !