Blog, Website & Page Publishing

TB23
Participant

Impact of changing blog post template

SOLVE

Hi, everyone,

I am currently using the "Generator - Free" template downloaded from the marketplace. However, the blog post template included in this set of templates does NOT work with HubSpot "Back-Date" listing, i.e., even if I set the publishing date in the past, the blog post still shows the date of update because the date hard-coded to "current date" in the blog post template. And I can't edit the blog post template code.

The website templates provided by "Generator - Free" does work with "back-date" listing feature, however.

I am on a free buspot plan right now. So, I can't change the blog listing template, but I am given the option to change the blog post template.

I would like to switch to HubSpot default blog post template to fix this back-date issue. But have three questions like to get some guidance on before switching:

(1) Can I just switch blog post template while keeping the same blog listing template? Or do I need to change the two at the same time?

(2) If so, woud this change fix the problem?  It seems the blog listing template is only taking the date from the blog post (I can also switch off "the date" display on the blog listing template.) 

(3) If yes to the above two questions, after I switch, what other changes do I need to make? For instance, any updates required to the blog posts already published?  Additionally, I have an automated email goes out to email newsletter subscribers whenver I publish a blog post.  Do I need to change this?

Many thanks for all the help I can get!

TB

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
alyssamwilie
Solution
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

SOLVE

@TB23 

1. Yes, the blog post and listing templates are separate templates so can you switch just one or the other or both. You can do this from Settings > Website > Blog in the Templates tab. There wil be separate "Actions" button dropdowns for post and listing. If you click the "Actions" button under Blog Post you can click to change the template for just the blog post.
  2. If the new blog post template has the features you want, then yes, it should fix your issue.
  3. I would carefully preview the changes (it should give you a preview when you select the template you want to switch to) to check if there's any content you'll need to update once published. If there's CTAs or sidebar content or any extra stuff like that you'll likely need to go through each blog post to update those to your preferred content.
    • Blog templates have no effect on emails so you will not have to do anything to your emails. 

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.

View solution in original post

TB23
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Alyssa,

Really appreciate your help! This has clarified a lot of things for me.

I will give it a try and let you know if I have any follow-up questions.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alyssamwilie
Solution

SOLVE

@TB23 

1. Yes, the blog post and listing templates are separate templates so can you switch just one or the other or both. You can do this from Settings > Website > Blog in the Templates tab. There wil be separate "Actions" button dropdowns for post and listing. If you click the "Actions" button under Blog Post you can click to change the template for just the blog post.
  2. If the new blog post template has the features you want, then yes, it should fix your issue.
  3. I would carefully preview the changes (it should give you a preview when you select the template you want to switch to) to check if there's any content you'll need to update once published. If there's CTAs or sidebar content or any extra stuff like that you'll likely need to go through each blog post to update those to your preferred content.
    • Blog templates have no effect on emails so you will not have to do anything to your emails. 

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.
TB23
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Alyssa,

Really appreciate your help! This has clarified a lot of things for me.

I will give it a try and let you know if I have any follow-up questions.

Thanks.

MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @TB23,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I wanted to tag in a couple of subject matter experts to see if they have any input on this matter:

Hi @alyssamwilie@Indra@BarryGrennan, do you have any advice for @TB23? Thank you!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team     

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

0 Upvotes
TB23
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you so much for getting the SMEs involved Mia!