Blog, Website & Page Publishing

JonSpiris

Image Sizes - Aspect Ratios?

Does anyone know if there are good aspect ratios to base imagery off of for use in HubSpot. I'm having a hard time providing direction to our creative teams when it comes to this, as image sizes within the tool are so arbitrary. Thanks!

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
mike-ward
Key Advisor

Hi @JonSpiris ,

It really depends on how you're planning on building out your pages. Are you working from an existing landing page/website template? If so, follow the ratios that are already used I would say, in case the template is particular about image sizes.

Don't quite understand the 'image sizes within the tool are so arbitrary' comment; could you elaborate? Within HS, you can use any size and aspect ratio of image - it's up to the template developer so understand how best to use it, and to use CSS properties like object-fit (or background image fitting) combined with media queries so that your images look great at all screen sizes no matter the device.

Definitely a good idea to have some standards for the project though - I tend to use 1.91 ratio images (e.g. 1200 x 627) as a good basis because that's also a good ratio for social networks (FB and LI, for example). A 1.91 image, a 16:9, a 3:2 and a 1:1 should cover you for pretty much every eventuality under the sun I think, ideally in a low-res and high-res version so you can use a low-res version for, say, a tile background image and a high-res version for a hero image.

And ideally SVG for any vector graphics (or PNG) and medium-quality JPEGs for everything else to keep file sizes down!

Cheers,

Mike

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!

alyssamwilie
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner
Recognized Expert | Elite Partner

Hi @JonSpiris ,

It would depend on the content you're putting the image into what size to use but some of the most common aspect ratios for images are 1:1,16:9, 3:2, 4:3, and 5:9. You can see what some of these sizes look like in this article here - https://www.canva.com/learn/beginners-guide-aspect-ratio/ .

However, pixel size is also important. Hopefully your creative team is already aware but uploading extremely large images would be detrimental to your page load. Can't count how many times clients have added 10,000+px wide images they downloaded straight from stockphoto and then had them asking us why their pages were taking so long to load. 
😅

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as the solution.

Alyssa Wilie Profile Image

Alyssa Wilie

Web Developerat Lynton

Learn HubL | Get Marketing Insights

HubSpot Elite Solutions Partner
Lynton's HubSpot theme Rubric now available. Click to download.