Blog, Website & Page Publishing

TC_MI
Participant

Hubspot or Wordpress for Blog?

Since the time my company started using Hubspot a few years ago, we also opted to have our blog page hosted by HS with their subdomain. We are now in the process of a website redesign, and our web developer is encouraging us to move from HS hosted, to WP hosted blogs. Of course the primary argument is SEO, which is a valid point. However, I do like the analytics, reporting, and the general ease of use and guidance to optimize SEO using the HS platform. 

I would love to hear other users thoughts on pros and cons of HS or WP for blog hosting. What is your preference, and why? 

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
InviseAgency
Contributor | Elite Partner
Contributor | Elite Partner

Hi people!
I totally agree on the issue with using a subdomain (which can "only be fixed" by using the whole HubSpot CMS for hosting your website)

However, we have worked out a neat WP plugin that will enable you to have blog in WordPress (in subdirectory for SEO benefits) and synching it to HubSpot as "ghost posts" (which enables you to see otherwise missed reports by choosing WordPress).

Right now our focus is on blog articles that are hosted in WordPress, but this should be working with other page types as well - later on when we see a broader use case 🙂

Background is that we wanted to use the standard blog reports/dashboards in HubSpot and associate external WordPress blog posts to campaigns, even if the blog posts are hosted in WordPress. This is what we've sorted out and it works good:

• Statistics and reports in HubSpot (example, blog views, time on page, bounce source etc).
  • CTAs in blogposts (views, ctr etc)
  • Associate WP blog articles with HubSpot Campaigns and thus being able to truly evaluate them with all the relevant assets.
  • Being able to keep the Wordpress host blog in a /blog/ subdirectory, but still use the blog features/reports in HubSpot. A great SEO win!

If you want more information, don't hesitate to contact me on this e-mail.

Here is a link to the plugin description in a PDF:

https://www.invise.se/en/services/integrations-apps#ghostvise 

/Fredrik

CTO

Invise Agency, Sweden

Ben_M
Key Advisor

Do you drive a Ford or a Honda? Do you use an Apple computer or a Windows PC?

Those are really the same type of question you are asking because Hubspot is a tool to publish your blog and switching from one tool to another needs to have a reason. Wordpress will not magically increase your  SEO.  Based on what you have said including your team already being trained on Hubspot. I would say to stick with Hubspot.  There doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to make the switch and it could end up costing you more in training hours and setting up new reporting to get what you need out of it.

TC_MI
Participant

I truly hope your tone was not intended to be as condescending as it appears to be.  This was a very simple post to see how other Hubspot users are choosing to publish their blogs, and why they like one platform over another.  

To state that "Wordpress will not magically increase your SEO" was never implied. However, it can be safely argued that hosting on a subdirectory of your primary website will gain better SEO than a sub-domain will achieve. Knowing this, I still question if giving up the many tools that HS bundles is worth the switch.  I am inclined to stay with HS for this reason, however my web developer is strongly advising this switch to a Wordpress hosted blog.

That said, he is a web developer, and not a marketer.  He does not use Hubspot, and I'm sure is not familiar with the functionality that it offers, and that the features are already bundled in, as opposed to needing several WP plugins to mimick what is already in place. 

I am inclined to stay with HS for our blog, but welcome to hear from other HS users on how they do their blog to see if I may be overlooking a valid reason to make the switch. After all, this would be the time to do it, as the new site is developed.

0 Upvotes
dianna
Contributor

Hello! We are in this same predicament. I wonder if you would be willing to share what you decided to do and how it's worked for you so far?

0 Upvotes
TC_MI
Participant

Hi Dianna!
We opted to continue using the HubSpot hosted blog because of the reporting tools.  Not sure how much this impacts SEO as opposed to using Word Press to host, but happy with the analytics that HubSpot offers.  If you are rebuilding your site, and decide to use HubSpot for your blog hosting, be sure to request your blog/ landing page/ email templates to be updated by HubSpot as well to match your new design.

Hope this help!  Good luck on your rebuild! 🙂