Blog, Website & Page Publishing

WVos
Teilnehmer/-in

Google AMP image size warning

Hi everyone,

I recently got a Google AMP 'Image size smaller that recommened' warning in Search Console. Funny thing is that I don't have any images on the mentioned post. It's purely text and an application form present on the page.

From searching I found that the recommened size for AMP images are minimum 1200px wide but haven't found anything about why I would receive the warning when there are no images on the page.

The post didn't have a featured image set so I added that but would that resolve the issue?

Kind regards and thanks!

0 Upvotes
4 Antworten
BreannaRuiz
Mitglied

Adding a featured image could potentially resolve the issue, but it's strange that the warning appeared in the first place.
To troubleshoot further, it might be helpful to inspect the page code thoroughly for any hidden image references or elements that could trigger the warning. Sometimes, even small, overlooked details can cause unexpected issues.
Additionally, if file size is a concern, using JPG compress tools like JPEG Optimizer could be beneficial. These tools can efficiently reduce image sizes without compromising quality, which might help alleviate any size-related warnings from Google AMP.

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

Hi @WVos,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I understand that you are using GSC to review the performance of the AMP versions of your blog posts, and that a post returned the alert of "Image size smaller than recommended size.", even though there are no images in the post. Is that correct? 

Ideally, GSC would tell you what image it is referencing and what their recommended size is. Therefore, if they do not provide you with this information it sounds like it will require some manual searching. You can use the Chrome inspect tool to see the elements on your webpage and the size of your images by right-clicking on your webpage and pressing "Inspect."

Once the inspect window is open, you can press the square with an arrow over it symbol in the upper lefthand corner and then hover over the elements of the page. The little bubble next to the element will tell you the size of the image. 

I'm suspecting that the image could be the form submit button, but let's see what the Chrome inspect tool says. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

WVos
Teilnehmer/-in

Hi @MiaSrebrnjak, thanks for you suggestion!

I had a look using the dev tools. The submit button is just a regular submit type input and not rendered as an image like CTAs are. We do normally display an animated gif once the form is submitted but it doesn't seem like the culprit either since it is only rendered after submission.

On the other hand though, I added the featured images and requested validation on Google Search console. One of the two pages that had the issue has passed validation. I'm still waiting for the result of the second page. Fingers crossed 🤞

MiaSrebrnjak
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

I see, thank you for letting me know @WVos, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the second page 🙂  

Cheers
Mia, Community Team

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

0 Upvotes