Blog, Website & Page Publishing

FurqanAli
Teilnehmer/-in

Facing issue of "duplicate pages without canonical" on most of the blog pages which has pagination.

Based on a report from Ahref I'm getting some URLs from the blog pages that are without canonical such as pagination links or blogs with specific tag links can someone clarify how we can resolve this issue?

0 Upvotes
5 Antworten
FurqanAli
Teilnehmer/-in

Facing issue of "duplicate pages without canonical" on most of the blog pages which has pagination.

@LMeert thanks for the reply I can share the URL with you please check the examples below:

- blog/tag/meetings/page/1
- /blog/tag/meetings 
- /template/page/1 

Mostly related to paginated urls also can I no index these pages is it safe so they don't appear in the report?

0 Upvotes
KStAngel
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

Hi @FurqanAli,
I'm guessing you solved this by now since this is an older post, but here's what I've found that fixed this issue on our blog. 

• In your HubSpot account, click the settings settings icon in the main navigation bar.
  • In the left sidebar menu, navigate to Website > Pages.
  • Click the SEO & Crawlers tab.
  • For pages and blog posts, select "Add self-referencing canonical URLs...".
  • For blog listing pagesselect a "Set each blog listing page's canonical URL to the first page in its series".

KStAngel_3-1705683602854.png

I'm not sure why Hubspot recommends the "Don't add canonical URLs to any blog listing pages" setting. On this post they say "search engines may be unable to find subsequent pages for your blog listing page." which leads me to believe that they expect it will add a canonical URL pointing to the index page from all listing pages, but in practice, that does not seem to be the case.

Here's how these settings rendered on my company's Hubspot blog:

Index page (equivalent to your /blog/tag/meetings) shows a self-referencing canonical, and a proper rel="next". Good.

KStAngel_4-1705683662099.png

Page 1 (equivalent of your blog/tag/meetings/page/1) shows a canonical to the index page a proper rel="next". Great! That should make Google happy.

KStAngel_5-1705683790237.png

Page 2 (to confirm no negative effects). This looks good. It'd be better if page 2 had a self-referencing canonical (more on that here: https://ahrefs.com/blog/canonical-tags/), but at least it's not adding a canonical to index thus stopping it's unique content from being indexed.

KStAngel_7-1705685641350.png

0 Upvotes
KStAngel
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende

I added a product suggestion in hopes this could be addressed on the Hubspot side:
https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Use-Best-Practices-for-Blog-Canonical-Tagging/idi-p/9...

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community-Manager/-in
Community-Manager/-in

Hi @FurqanAli 

Thank you for reaching out.

I want to tag some of our experts on this - @Kevin-C @LMeert @Anton do you know what may be happening here?

I would also recommend connecting with HubSpot Technical Support, as Support is included in your subscription and they will be able to provide real-time assistance for this matter, where you are able to share screenshots and further information about this!

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
LMeert
Ratgeber/-in | Platinum Partner
Ratgeber/-in | Platinum Partner

Hi @TiphaineCuisset,

Never had this issue before.
Maybe @FurqanAli you could share the website url and give us a precise example of a page missing a canonical tag so we can better understand what is your problem and find a solution to it ?

Thanks,

Ludwig

Agence Mi4 - Data DrivenCTO @ Mi4
Hubspot Platinum Partner and Integration Expert

Passionate human, very curious about everything data and automation.

Any problem with Hubspot you need help solving ?

Let me know !