Blog, Website & Page Publishing

Steven_Regis24
Contributor

Ever lost weeks worth of work on a template?

SOLVE

We have multiple people in our office working on some webpage templates in our Hubspot account to launch a new website.

Yesterday one of the team logged in to find that about 5 weeks of work, on one particular page, had been lost. The revision history showed only three versions since the work had started and they were all identical.

Since saving is automatic, and she had been working on this over weeks, it's hard to imagine how it could have happened. Has it ever happened to anyone else?

(Hubspot Support is already looking in to it.)

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Steven_Regis24,

I wanted to circle back with some suggestions for ensuring your data is not misplaced in the future. 

Changes to templates should be published regularly in the current version of the tool. If you want to work in the design manager over several weeks without impacting your live website, it is best to clone the template you are working on. That way, you can regularly publish changes without impacting live content. Regular publishing will also help with the ability to track changes, as revisions will then become more useful.

Thank you,
Jenny

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Steven_Regis24
Contributor

SOLVE

So the update is that Hubspot cannot find any trace of our previous work. It's as if it never existed, which is very odd. We gave lost about 30-40h of work, which is prettz bad.

We have also had the data loss recur on another template, but this time we had a back-up.

This makes me think that we are doing something very wrong in the way we are working with purchased templates and the Design Tools. For one thing, are they not auto-saved? I don't see any save button.

Can someone point me to the best resources on how one is meant to work with Templates and the Design Tool. For instance, once we have bought the Template, do we work directly in the Template files to customise it to look like the website we want, or do we somehow Publish the template to a page first then work there, thus never actually touching the template itself?

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Steven_Regis24,

I wanted to circle back with some suggestions for ensuring your data is not misplaced in the future. 

Changes to templates should be published regularly in the current version of the tool. If you want to work in the design manager over several weeks without impacting your live website, it is best to clone the template you are working on. That way, you can regularly publish changes without impacting live content. Regular publishing will also help with the ability to track changes, as revisions will then become more useful.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
Steven_Regis24
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Jenny, that is indeed what we have started doing.

The problem was that we were not "Publishing" the changes - because as you are working away you often get a little message telling you the template has been "Saved" - so naturally one assumes that some kind of auto-save is working and that data is safe.

Why it is eventually lost when usually it in fact is saved we don't know. Note we have once lost data since starting to "Publish" data so maybe there is something else we are doing wrong.

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Steven_Regis24,

I apologize for the business impact and inconvenience this has caused. It looks like HubSpot Technical Support is still investigating this matter, so continuing to partner with them regarding your issue will be the best actionable next step. 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes