Blog, Website & Page Publishing

mkarsten
Top Contributor

Embedded YouTube customization

SOLVE

When we first started embedding YouTube videos on landing pages a few years ago, I was able to add parameters to the URL to remove the video title, but with the tool upgrades, it seems something's happened that isn't recognizing any parameters I add.

For example, I tried src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i5awwm3pGoQ?rel=0&modestbranding=1&autohide=1&showinfo=0&contr..." in the source code (which is a little overkill, I might keep controls), but it's not changing anything in the wysiwyg or preview (please forgive the very rough page, it's a work in progress), https://info.pitsco.com/virtual-booth?hs_preview=TTOgXXju-27878502127 . This example is referring to the "Why STEM Matters" video under "The STEM Zone" around half way down the page.

Any ideas why the parameters aren't working? If nothing else, I'd like to remove the title bar, if you have any suggestions.

1 Accepted solution
mike-ward
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @mkarsten ,

I think this is simple due to YouTube depreacting a few of their embed features in 2018 - I remember that was about when I moved all my client embeds over to Vimeo because I could no longer get the clean experience I used to from YT.

If I look at the source code of that page, your iframe seems to have the src rendering accurately:

<iframe class="hs-responsive-embed-iframe" style="position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; border: none;" xml="lang" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i5awwm3pGoQ?rel=0&amp;modestbranding=1&amp;autohide=1&amp;showinfo=0&amp;controls=0" width="560" height="315" allowfullscreen="" data-service="youtube"></iframe>

And indeed some of those parameters (controls=0, modestbranding=1) are working correctly.

However, that 'showinfo=0' is no longer doing anything, as per the YouTube embed documentation - that feature is now deprecated. So you can't get rid of the title, and the 'related videos' will always show something even with 'rel=0'.

I think your options here are pretty simple:

1. Live with having less control over the YouTube player than you used to
  2. Move the videos off YouTube onto a platform that allows more control of the embed (e.g. Wistia, Vimeo, Vidyard) or indeed embedding the HS video module directly.

Annoying, I know. For many of my clients we have embed videos hosted on one provider, and ALSO have the videos on YouTube which we use for social promotion and for organic discovery. Bit of a pain to manage double videos, but totally doable.

There are other advantages of not using YT embeds, of course, such as more control over cards, embedding forms/CTAs directly in the video etc...

Good luck!

Thanks,

Mike

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
mike-ward
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @mkarsten ,

I think this is simple due to YouTube depreacting a few of their embed features in 2018 - I remember that was about when I moved all my client embeds over to Vimeo because I could no longer get the clean experience I used to from YT.

If I look at the source code of that page, your iframe seems to have the src rendering accurately:

<iframe class="hs-responsive-embed-iframe" style="position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; border: none;" xml="lang" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i5awwm3pGoQ?rel=0&amp;modestbranding=1&amp;autohide=1&amp;showinfo=0&amp;controls=0" width="560" height="315" allowfullscreen="" data-service="youtube"></iframe>

And indeed some of those parameters (controls=0, modestbranding=1) are working correctly.

However, that 'showinfo=0' is no longer doing anything, as per the YouTube embed documentation - that feature is now deprecated. So you can't get rid of the title, and the 'related videos' will always show something even with 'rel=0'.

I think your options here are pretty simple:

1. Live with having less control over the YouTube player than you used to
  2. Move the videos off YouTube onto a platform that allows more control of the embed (e.g. Wistia, Vimeo, Vidyard) or indeed embedding the HS video module directly.

Annoying, I know. For many of my clients we have embed videos hosted on one provider, and ALSO have the videos on YouTube which we use for social promotion and for organic discovery. Bit of a pain to manage double videos, but totally doable.

There are other advantages of not using YT embeds, of course, such as more control over cards, embedding forms/CTAs directly in the video etc...

Good luck!

Thanks,

Mike

---

Did I answer your question? If your question is answered, please mark it as a solution. If you need more help, hit that big orange 'Reply' button!

0 Upvotes
mkarsten
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks so much for your indepth answer. Having our stats in one place outweighs moving the videos at this point, but will consider the options you gave for future projects.

0 Upvotes
mike-ward
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Glad it was helpful!

Yep, I think your landing page design still works very well indeed with the current embeds, even if it's not quite how you'd like it styled. Sounds like a good decision to save the headaches and focus on more important things 🙂

Onwards and upwards!

Cheers,

Mike

---