Blog, Website & Page Publishing

jmancini77
Participant

Does anyone have strategies to address the mobile/desktop "click gap?" -- or is it just us?

SOLVE

We've noticed something in our data, and I am wondering if: a) our community is unusual in this behavior; and b) assuming no, what strategies have others deployed to address it.  Incidentally, we are BIG Hubspot fans!

Here is the observation.  Almost across the board, our emails are OPENED at about a 50/50 rate between mobile and desktop clients, and obviously trending toward mobile clients over time.  Data point 1.  Data point 2 is that our CLICKS are about 5/95 between the mobile and desktop clients.

So over time, this will become more and more of a problem in our overall content marketing strategy as more and more email is viewed on mobile clients.  At first I thought that this was a result of how unsatisfying PDF viewing is on mobile devices, and the deliverable at the other end of our CTAs is often a PDF.  Or maybe a reluctance to complete the forms at the other end of the CTA on a phone.

But then I realized that folks aren't even getting there. There appears to be some behavioral norm -- at least in our community -- that people just don't click on mobile email clicks/CTAs at the same rate as they do on the desktop client.  Or maybe the definition of an "open" is much more liberal on mobile clients?  Or....

Anyone else?  Any strategies for what you are doing about it?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
ndwilliams3
Solution
Key Advisor

Does anyone have strategies to address the mobile/desktop "click gap?" -- or is it just us?

SOLVE

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and speculate based on my own personal experience! While I may read an email on my mobile, I don't always want to dive into looking at a webpage on my phone. If I find the email compelling, I will come back to it on my desktop...if I remember!  If the link suggests that it might be a form or it's an ebook offer, I'm more likely not going to click, because we all know forms are a pain on mobile.

For an ebook, a solution might be to use a workflow to deliver an ebook via email based on the click event alone. The email would include a direct link to the ebook, no landing page.

The challenge would be how to convey that in the email?

Maybe something like...

On your mobile?

Click here to get it delivered instantly via email.

No form required!

This idea is purely theory, I haven't tested!

You could then look at the open and click rates on the second email to see how effective it is.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
ndwilliams3
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and speculate based on my own personal experience! While I may read an email on my mobile, I don't always want to dive into looking at a webpage on my phone. If I find the email compelling, I will come back to it on my desktop...if I remember!  If the link suggests that it might be a form or it's an ebook offer, I'm more likely not going to click, because we all know forms are a pain on mobile.

For an ebook, a solution might be to use a workflow to deliver an ebook via email based on the click event alone. The email would include a direct link to the ebook, no landing page.

The challenge would be how to convey that in the email?

Maybe something like...

On your mobile?

Click here to get it delivered instantly via email.

No form required!

This idea is purely theory, I haven't tested!

You could then look at the open and click rates on the second email to see how effective it is.