Blog, Website & Page Publishing

MiaPV
Contributeur de premier rang

Does Marking Comment as Spam Actually Do Anything?

We have been getting a sudden influx of trolls posting comments on our site trying to get their links in there, even though our comments section doesn't work with hyperlinks. I mark them as spam every time, but it doesn't stop them from being able to continue commenting. I'm just curious what the benefit is of having the "Mark as spam" option vs. just deleting. Is there something I can do to ban them from commenting? There is a certain satisfaction I get from marking them as spam every time, but I also have better things to do.

0 Votes
5 Réponses
PamCotton
Gestionnaire de communauté

Hey @MiaPV,

Is the same users that are marked as spam the ones coming back and commenting more?

Currently, HubSpot automatically filters for spam comments and hides them from your posts. If there is a spam comment in your blog comments:

• Hover over the comment, then click the Actions dropdown menu and select Mark as Spam.
  • To reduce the number of spam comments you're seeing, you can enable CAPTCHA in your settings.

Marking them as spam is the correct way as will educate HubSpot what content is being marked as spam, only deleting will not prevent the commenter to not come back.

More information here.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

MiaPV

Hi @PamCotton thanks for your response. Yep it's the same users coming back and commenting.  I have been marking them as spam, but nothing happens after that. The same people continue to comment and I continue marking them as spam. Here is just one example:

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 12.07.34 PM.png

This person has been doing this since at least April (I believe I actually deleted them from our contacts database a while ago but they came back). So is something not working with the spam catcher? I realize using a CAPTCHA form may stop some spammers, but it also stops regular commenters, including some of our elderly audience, so we need to keep things easier for them.

Thanks,

Mia

0 Votes
PamCotton

Hello @MiaPV,

When a comment is "marked as spam", the associated email address should have future comments quarantined. Could you keep this contact in your account marked as spam to see if his further comments will be blocked?

In this knowledge base here, our options for limiting spam submissions on forms at the moment are:

1) Enable Captcha 

2) Block specific email domains. ( this might be a good option, some of these submissions come from the same email domain.)

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Votes
MiaPV

It took longer than usual, but ASH is back and commenting with no problems after being marked as spam multiple times.Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 9.42.26 AM.png

0 Votes
MiaPV

Since this commenter's email address is from a gmail account, blocking the specific email domain most definitely won't work. I have kept this contact active since deleting them before did nothing...my guess is I'll be getting a notification for them commenting sometime in the next day or two. So it looks like the system catching spam without CAPTCHA enabled isn't working, unless it takes me marking them as spam more than two times, which I will continue to do since the other options won't work for us.

Thanks.

0 Votes