Change blog template

Highlighted
New Contributor

Read other posts but nothing identical.  I have one default template for blogs. Today I cloned that template and created a modified template loosely based on the original with a "...copy 2" file name. I published this and got confirmation pop up that a new template was created. Having opened a draft blog and selecting 'change blog template' I'm taken to the settings page. I click on 'Template' and according to various sources I should be able to click a drop down menu and select which template I want to use. Unfortunately I don't have a drop down menu, there are no other templates from which to choose. 

Question: why is my new template "...copy 2" not appearing as an option to select in the settings for this draft blog?

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
Community Thought Leader | Diamond Partner

Hi @Paytec5067 

All blog use the same template. Its not currently possible to assign different templates to different blogs. If you want there to be differences between the blogs, I believe the most efficient way is to code them into the one template using conditional if statements. This is the same way we typically customise the author and topic pages which automatically take the post listing template. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | Inbound marketing for B2B technology companies
New Contributor

Thanks, actually I'm happy for the modified template to apply to all blogs but I simply don't have the option within settings. 

0 Upvotes

Hi @Paytec5067 

That's odd. Assuming you have Marketing Hub Pro or the CMS, you should be able to change the blog template pretty quicky in settings. See how here: Change your blog template

Let us know if this works.

New Contributor

Thanks, I've modified the original template because nothing I tried resulted in the option appearing to select alternative templates. Unsure whether my subscription plan is the issue. If plan limitations is the issue it seems odd that I'm permitted to create more than one blog template but not permitted to use more than one template. However, I need to push on with other priorities now.

0 Upvotes

Hi @Paytec5067 

Could it be that you dont have permission to change the blog template settings?

What appears when you go to settings > website > blog > templates? Any like this:

Blog template settings.png

I cant see how it would be anything to do with plan level. If you have the blog tool, you are at least on Marketing Hub Pro or the CMS and both should give you the option of changing the blgo template. 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

That's exactly how my 'setting' view looks except where yours has current template: blog post and an arrow to the right indicating a drop menu with more options, this is missing on my screen despite the fact I know there are alternative blog templates.

0 Upvotes