Blog, Website & Page Publishing

tmcp
Participant

Can I use google tag manager to track PDF downloads from a hubspot webpage?

Hello, I have some PDF documents available for download from a page on my site.   I would like to know how many people have downloaded them.   I have tried to set up a Google tag manager tag and trigger as described here, and I've added GTM to my pages as describe here, but the tags aren't firing.

Has anyone had success using GTM to track PDF downloads from a hubspot page?  How did you configure your tags/triggers?

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
kris_evans
Participant

You may have moved on from this, but GTM now allows you to track PDF by following these simple steps: https://www.analyticsmania.com/post/track-pdf-downloads-with-google-tag-manager-ga/#:~:text=Ensure%2....

0 Upvotes
Ogun-A
Participant | Diamond Partner
Participant | Diamond Partner

Hey @tmcp,

you could gate your pdf download with a cta. Then you can track the CTA and see how often it was clicked.

Hope i could help you.

Kind regards.

tmcp
Participant

Thanks for the response.  In this case, the PDF download links are already part of a styled module that a developer created, so I was hoping I wouldn't need to convert it to a CTA.  

I just don't understand why I can't set Google tag manager to fire on any link clicks that contain .pdf.   I was hoping maybe someone had had success with that approach.

T. 

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @tmcp,

At this time, it is not possible to record click/visits to a PDF because there is not a tracking code in the PDF that would allow us to track that activity.

You can also track files by using a CTA that contact needs to click in order to download the file. This way you can track the CTA views/clicks.

I hope this information helps.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes