Blog, Website & Page Publishing

jtallman

Best website menu practices

SOLVE

Question for the group... when constructing your website menu options (sub-menu specfically) do you find it better to use multiple sub-menus under a topic, or one menu option that takes someone to a pillar page with various options available? 

Example 1:

Menu: Indianapolis Property Management (no page available to view)

Sub-menus: Pricing, Services Offered, Frustrated Landlord, Investor Education, etc.

Example 2:

Menu: Indianapolis Property Management

This takes the user to a pillar page with all the sub-menu items noted above avaialable to review and click for more information (generally blogs).

Thoughts?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jtallman 

There's a million ways to do this and a million opinions online, so here's my opnion.

Keep your menus simple.

I like to keep a really simple Primary Menu, at the top of the page, with a maximum of one tier of sub menus. Where possible I avoid submenus in the Primary menu.

I always add a more comprehensive set of menus in the footer. My assumption is: if the visitor made it to the bottom of the page – they were interested enough to get that far without clicking away – so show them all the options (within reason).

Avoid spammy looking links – people won't like it and neither will Google.

What if you had a Call To Action (CTA) for each of your target questions and put the CTA(s) in a prime location (below the menu or in a side bar).

To me "Frustrated Landlord" could imply you're selling frustrated landlords? Joking aside, what if you had some CTAs asking the question about what makes landlords frustrated, a line to elaborate, and a button offering the solution?

I suppose what I'm saying is keep your menus for navigation and use your content for SEO and Sales.

Yes to Pillar Posts! I would link your posts to the Pillar Post too. You want Google to know your Pillar Post is your best content.

Have fun

Mike

p.s. put some effort into your Google My Business listing if you haven't already.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @jtallman 

There's a million ways to do this and a million opinions online, so here's my opnion.

Keep your menus simple.

I like to keep a really simple Primary Menu, at the top of the page, with a maximum of one tier of sub menus. Where possible I avoid submenus in the Primary menu.

I always add a more comprehensive set of menus in the footer. My assumption is: if the visitor made it to the bottom of the page – they were interested enough to get that far without clicking away – so show them all the options (within reason).

Avoid spammy looking links – people won't like it and neither will Google.

What if you had a Call To Action (CTA) for each of your target questions and put the CTA(s) in a prime location (below the menu or in a side bar).

To me "Frustrated Landlord" could imply you're selling frustrated landlords? Joking aside, what if you had some CTAs asking the question about what makes landlords frustrated, a line to elaborate, and a button offering the solution?

I suppose what I'm saying is keep your menus for navigation and use your content for SEO and Sales.

Yes to Pillar Posts! I would link your posts to the Pillar Post too. You want Google to know your Pillar Post is your best content.

Have fun

Mike

p.s. put some effort into your Google My Business listing if you haven't already.

natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @jtallman ,

Thank you for sharing your query in the Community.

@Mike_Eastwood , @Anton and @Ben_M , could you share your thoughts for @jtallman ?

0 Upvotes