Blog, Website & Page Publishing

LROADY
Contributor

Best practice for old landing pages

SOLVE

Looking for best practices from my peers: what do you do with old landing pages when they need to be retired?

Specifically, we create landing pages with registration forms for tradeshow meetings.  Those old landing pages are still out there on the web, but doing no good. The very old landing pages are using old hubspot templates featuring website menus of the past.

What's the best way to manage? unpublish and 301 redirect?

3 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LROADY

I would definitely unpublish those pages - it sounds like they offer visitors little value now and could be confusing. 

301 redirection is usually a good idea - although is only really necessary if those pages recieve traffic, i.e. from search engines or referral links, that you want to preserve. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

IanGuiver
Solution
Contributor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LROADY,

Yes I agree, your best option would be to unpublish and set up a 301 redirect. Here's a link on how to do that:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/website-user-guide/how-to-use-the-url-mapping-tool-to-redirect-pages

We often choose to archive old landing pages as well, which helps to organise your file manager (you can see how to do that here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/cos-general/what-are-the-best-practices-for-remov...)

Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @LROADY

As you mentioned, I'd suggest unpublishing the page and implementing the URL redirection. 

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

7 Replies 7
arthurs
Contributor

SOLVE

There is actually no way to un-publish a blog listing page in HubSpot 😮

You will need to redirect the listing page and then either leave the listing page, if you're not sure you want to delete it yet, or go for the delete.

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @arthurs, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
Nico_publico

SOLVE

On the same note: Would you also unpublish and redirect blogposts that have no value anymore? 

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @LROADY

As you mentioned, I'd suggest unpublishing the page and implementing the URL redirection. 

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost
IanGuiver
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @LROADY,

Yes I agree, your best option would be to unpublish and set up a 301 redirect. Here's a link on how to do that:

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/website-user-guide/how-to-use-the-url-mapping-tool-to-redirect-pages

We often choose to archive old landing pages as well, which helps to organise your file manager (you can see how to do that here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/cos-general/what-are-the-best-practices-for-remov...)

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @LROADY

I would definitely unpublish those pages - it sounds like they offer visitors little value now and could be confusing. 

301 redirection is usually a good idea - although is only really necessary if those pages recieve traffic, i.e. from search engines or referral links, that you want to preserve. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
TGGAdmin
Participant

SOLVE

Do you still recommend the actions listed above?  I want to confirm there have been no changes to the recommendation on how to handle outdated landing pages & other content. 

Thank you.