Blog, Website & Page Publishing

jimboroberts
Contributor | Elite Partner

Best Subdomain Example Names

Hi Everyone,

We tend to use the same subdomain names for our landing pages and blogs.

These tend to be:

• blog.[domain].com
  • news.[domain].com
  • landing.[domain].com
  • articles.[domain].com
  • resources.[domain].com
  • insights.[domain].com

I'm interested to know what everyone else uses? 

17 Replies 17
Jake_Lett
Guide | Partner
Guide | Partner

Alternate to using a subdomain If you don’t have the restriction and would like to build everything on HubSpot, I recommend only one primary domain. This will build SEO value towards one domain instead of multiple domains.

If you’re not using HubSpot for your main website hosting (like WordPress) but just use it for landing pages and blog. I would recommend this approach.

List of good subdomain names for landing pages

KMartin9

Hi Jake,

Thank you for your post here and for the longer article on your site.

I'm wondering if you can assist me with a similar question.

We are hosting our domain on Webflow and don't expect to go to Hubspot CMS for a while.

I would like to take advantage of the Hubspot Landing and Blog features.

I suppose I would use the last example you have in your post in this example.

We are on the Marketing Hub starter so we can only have one subdomain.

Do you know what this does to your SEO if you are spreading content over various subdomains?

I appreciate your input on this.

Thanks,

Kate

0 Upvotes
Raffy
Top Contributor | Partner
Top Contributor | Partner

I've also used:
inbound.[domain].com for landing pages
know.[domain].com for the knowledge base

I would only use a subdomain if the a content cluster is becoming "heavy". Or if, in the case of landing pages, we prefer it to be separate to make it easier for us to look at the analytics.

Otherwise, as other have said, best to keep it simple.

0 Upvotes
SeanReid
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hey Jim,

The other two more popular ones I've seen are "Corp." and "Help."

I'm a fan of keeping them really simple and not open to interpretation. I've seen some businesses go rather flashy and try to come up with clever names related to their brand or a particular product but, in all honesty, it means you are using a subdomain that can only be used on a limited amount of pages. I want to ensure that I'm getting the most bang for my buck with each subdomain, so if it's own that I can host an entire catalog of content with then it's a winner in my eyes.

Yazz
Top Contributor

We haven't used subdomains for the different parts of the website, we simply tag it at the end of our URL. So: www.domain.com/blog or www.domain.com/case-studies

I like the idea of using subdomains for it, though and the way you're using it makes most sense. I wouldn't complicate the naming scheme just to be a little different. If I was visiting your domain and I know that you're using something so straightforward, it would make most sense to me rather than things like: ourteam.domain.com or letsgo.domain.com

Even though they are 'hip' it doesn't always make sense to sacrifice simplicity for the sake of branding.

jimboroberts

I completely agree on the naming conventions, I see a lot of 'hip' names for traditional pages on a website, these might feel like you are trend settings, but they do nothing but confuse the user and add blockers in place for conversions.

LloydBirch
Contributor

I think the way you do it @Yazz is better because sub domains are considered a separate entity by search engines. I prefer to keep all my website content on the same domain for this reason.

Yazz
Top Contributor

@LloydBirch - That is the exact reason why we tag it at the end of the URL. We keep subdomains for things that are separate entities but need to be associated with the website, like our Knowledge Base, for example.

LloydBirch
Contributor

@Yazz That's actually one of the main reasons I'm not using the blogging and landing page tools within hubspot, I don't want the content sat on seperate sub domains. Do you use hubspots landing/blog page tools?

0 Upvotes
Yazz
Top Contributor

@LloydBirch 

I am using HubSpot for both and I strongly encourage you to do the same. You do not have to use subdomains in order to use HubSpot's Blogs/Landing Pages, you just have to create your own URL naming scheme.

Example:

www.domain.com/ - main URL

www.domain.com/blog - blog URL

www.domain.com/lp - landing page URL

Then, when you create a new Landing Page, HubSpot inserts the "www.domain.com/" portion automatically, but you have to remember to follow the naming convention this way: /lp/name-of-your-landing-page

Hope this helps

Kierstin
Contributor | Diamond Partner

@Yazz  this option only works if they are on the HubSpot CMS, correct. There's no way to keep the domains set to www if they're hosting their main site on WordPress ...? I've been digging into this with our developers and just wanted to confirm before setting up our next client. 🙂

0 Upvotes
KMartin9

Hi Kierstin,

Wondering what you decided to do in terms of Blogs/Landing pages and subdomains in hubspot. We are not using the Hubspot CMS but I'd like to utilize Hubspot's Blog/Landing Page capabilities. Did you find a good solution for your clients that did not sacrifice SEO too dramatically?

0 Upvotes
Yazz
Top Contributor

Hey @Kierstin - I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to only use www instead of subdomains on Wordpress. If I'm not mistaken, that's the default setting for Wordpress as well. Subdomains always take the 'if you want to go this route' approach, otherwise stick with 'www.domain.com/page-name/topic-name'. Hopefully I understood your question here, let me know if I need to elaborate.

0 Upvotes
Kierstin

@Yazz  Sorry, I meant having the blog and landing pages on HubSpot, yet not using HubSpot's CMS. So the www is pointed at another host (WordPress was just an example). If the DNS is pointing the www record at the other host, you can't host the directory-based blog and landing pages on HubSpot, right? I don't manage this part of projects anymore, so I just want to make sure there's not something I've been missing out on. 🙂 

0 Upvotes
Yazz
Top Contributor

@Kierstin

I wish I could, with full certainty, state that I know the answer to that, but I do not. I would think that you cannot because you have to tell one CMS that you are hosting with it and therefore it controls the domain fully. Maybe reach out to HubSpot support/sales and see if that's possible. I would, from personal experience, state that Wordpress is a great CMS and hosting tool but with HubSpot's new UI for website editing and all the rest that it has naturally built into it, I would urge to go full HubSpot on that solution. Just makes life so much simpler 🙂 Hope this helps!

0 Upvotes
Kierstin

@Yazz That's exactly what I thought and I agree 100% - move to CMS! 🙂 That is in the plan, but there are higher priorities we have to execute on first. 🙂

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
LloydBirch
Contributor

Thanks @Yazz I'll look into it. I'm returning to hubspot after a while with salesforce so still catching up with all the newer features and initially it looked like it would only work on a sub domain so I'll have another good look into it now that everything else is properly up and running!

0 Upvotes