Blog, Website & Page Publishing

jlopez

Archiving vs Unpublishing landing pages

SOLVE

Hello!

Our team is in the process of removing some old landing pages from our website. They're "Download our brochure now" pages with form fills that we no longer need. We are unsure of the difference between archiving and unpublishing and what effect each does. What is the difference between the two and when would you use each action?

• I've read on a different thread that unpublishing and adding a 301 redirect would be best for unused landing pages. Would this still be an appropriate course of action in our case?
  • Would archiving create broken links?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @jlopez 

Archiving a published page will not create a broken link as it leaves the page published while removing it from the default view of pages. 

If archiving and un-publishing (as offered when you click archive) you would create a broken link unless a 301 redirection is put in place. 

For me, having live, published pages in the archive is a risk that I'd rather avoid. So if archiving, I think I'd always lean towards unpublishing and creating the redirection. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @jlopez 

Archiving a published page will not create a broken link as it leaves the page published while removing it from the default view of pages. 

If archiving and un-publishing (as offered when you click archive) you would create a broken link unless a 301 redirection is put in place. 

For me, having live, published pages in the archive is a risk that I'd rather avoid. So if archiving, I think I'd always lean towards unpublishing and creating the redirection. 

Hope this helps.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency