How are you using partitioning? What's working well and what can be improved?

mgeorgieva
Équipe de développement de HubSpot

Hello all,

My name is Maggie Georgieva and I'm a Product Manager working to improve our customers' experience with users and asset management. We've recently launched partitions - the ability to assign assets such as landing pages, forms, calls-to-action, emails, lists, dashboards, email subscriptions to teams, and would love to hear how you are using it.

What are the primary ways in which you've separated your assets across teams? Was there anything that you wish worked differently? 

Share your feedback in this channel so we can learn from your experience, improve the features and expand on them in the way that makes the most sense to you. Thank you so much for your time and willingness to help.

Best,

Maggie

60 Réponses
annemarien
Participant

Hi, we have a use case that we thought partitioning would help with, but can't quite work out how to make it work with the feature as it is. Would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

All our users needs access to all contacts and companies regardless of individual contact ownership. Given the filtering power of Lists we would like everyone in the company to have access to lists as well.

However, our Marketing team need to solely have access to editing the marketing-only lists, without the risk that other people may accidentally access and change something in their carefully segmented marketing lists.

So we want a way that Marketing team can own their own lists, but those lists still have all contacts in them regardless of who owns the contact (will never be owned by a marketing team member) and also all ownerless contacts.

Then all other users can maintain their own lists and not risk opening up a marketing-owned list and editing it because it looks like a useful one for their purposes.

How can we use the feature as it currently is, plus any workarounds, to achieve the above?

Many thanks

0 Votes
mgeorgieva

Hello there,

In the situation you are describing you can create a team for Marketing and then any list they create will only be visible to that team. Right now unless the contacts are assigned to someone in that team, they won't show up for them but we are talking about removing that restriction for superadmins. So your option could be making the marketers supereadmins. Does that correspond to the level of permissions you'd want to give them?

0 Votes
annemarien
Participant

Thanks for the reply! The superadmin role would be too high for most members of the Marketing team.

I think the issue for us is that the team partitioning seems to be overriding the Contacts Access View/Communicate security settings. If we have set someone up to be able to view and communicate with Everyone, why would setting up a team list stop them from seeing all those contacts they are allowed to view and communicate with just because of the contact's ownership settings? If they wanted their list to exclude other teams they could add an Owner filter to include just their team members. And if they are not allowed to communicate with other contacts, then that should be set in their security settings to View/Communicate Own Team.

In effect we just want something in Lists that mirrors the "save this filter for myself only, share with my team, or make available to everyone" feature when saving filters in the Contacts/Companies sections. The lists themselves would then only include the contacts that the person viewing the list (or emailing the list) would normally have access to based on their View/Communicate settings in Contact Access.

0 Votes
mgeorgieva

Thank you and apologies for the delayed response.

To answer your question, "if you have set someone up to be able to view and communicate with Everyone, why would setting up a team list stop them from seeing all those contacts they are allowed to view and communicate with just because of the contact's ownership settings?" -- This is because we automatically add a filter upon the list creation / assignment for which team owns this list, and that immediately narrows down the group of contacts who can be in it to exclude contacts owned by other teams or contacts that are unassigned. Generally, we've found that customers want this separation to ensure that one team won't email the contacts of another team, for example. 

In your use case, it seems that you need a way to lock down editing of a set of lists to a specific group of users (marketing).

There is no straightforward way to accomplish this, but I wonder if this setup would work - if you made Marketing a parent team and then create the Sales team underneath it as a child team, then you can assign any lists to Marketing but not give them to Sales. Since everyone in the Sales team will be together, they can see everything owned by the team. The only caveat here is that unassigned contacts won't be visible because we automatically add that filter for ownership, but if that's an issue you can set up a Workflow to assign any unassigned contacts to Marketing. What do you think?

0 Votes
annemarien
Participant

Thank you, yes I agree that's the solution using the feature that would give what we need in the case of two teams. 

0 Votes
Ellesyanna
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Hi!

Great new functionalities, thank you! Something that I'm missing regarding partitioning is a solution to be able to segment contacts that come from non-hubspot forms. I want to be able to connect 2 or more different external website domains, and be able to easily differentiate contacts coming from different non-hubspot forms from those different websites. I now wouldn't for instance be able to assign an owner or team based on a domain or certain webpages where the non-hubspot forms are placed on through a workflow. As I can only select hubspot pages as a filter criteria and no external pages.

This is quite massive for us, because the alternative would be: OR to constantly track what are exactly all the external forms and make sure they are followed up propertly, OR I need to replace all non-hubspot webforms with hubspot forms, which is a huge effort, OR I need to include some kind of property in all external forms that we have, to be able to differtiate between them. All current solutions are not ideal..

Would be great if we could for instance say in a workflow. If any form was filled out on domain X or external page X, then assign Team B. Or if form X, Y, Z was filled out, then assign Team A.

Thank you,

Elles

Did my answer solve your issue? Help the community by marking it as the solution.
mgeorgieva

Thank you, Elles, for sharing this. Sounds like a really interesting use case. Would you be willing to chat with me and my team more anbout this? Specifically, we want to find out how your teams are structured, how you do reporting, etc. What you are describing makes sense, I just want to help the rest of the team learn and enrich this use case with more context.

Best,

Maggie

0 Votes
Ellesyanna

Hi Maggie, Sure, happy to discuss this further!

Did my answer solve your issue? Help the community by marking it as the solution.
0 Votes
vdecker
Participant

Like this, but, as a super admin seems weird if I assign a team to a list I am no longer able to see any contacts in the list if I am not specifically part of the team. As super admin I would assume I would have access regardless. 

I also find it strange that even though my role is Super Admin and I put myself on a team I created, then assign a list to that team it is defaulting to the role settings and not super admin, if that makes sense. Example, I created a Marketing team role with contacts as owned only, when I assign myself to that team I can no longer view any contacts in that list because I have no contacts assigned to me, but as a Super Admin I can see everyone in the list. Seems tedious to create a team for admins and assign to every list in order to be able to see everything. 

0 Votes
mgeorgieva

Thank you! We were intending on keeping it simple by only having the team dictate the visibility (so we show a filter "contacts owned by Team XYZ" in the list criteria and that's the source of truth), but we heard similar feeback from a couple of users. So we are discussing options to ensure superadmins have the right level of visibility.

Best,

Maggie

0 Votes
jmarshall
Participant

Hi,

I just wanted to say that the partitioning for Dashboards is working exacty as expected! This was much needed as we liked our vendors to have access to reports that involved their data, without them seeing the more sensitive company data. Great timing too.

We are still trying to figure out how to filter lists by teams while still maintaining company workflows triggered by those lists and keeping the leads available for external apps. Perhaps our use case is different for wanting to segment by teams than the reason this segmentation was made available? Our purpose for segmenting leads by teams would be to ensure that lists that trigger important workflows and flow into crucial external apps (e.g. contact center software) do not get accidentally altered or deleted by general users, while still giving them the ability to create lists ands segment leads for their own purposes.   

0 Votes
mgeorgieva

So happy to hear that! Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. Your use case makes sense. You can assign the specific lists to a team to ensure no other teams messes with them. Then, you can still use those lists in Workflows. 

We are also offering a beta for Workflow partitioning so if you are interested, you can look at the two together to ensure that same team is the one that controls both the list and the workflow. Let me know!

Best,

Maggie

0 Votes
folked
Contributeur de premier rang

Hi, we have been working with content partioning now for some weeks, especially on emails, forms, workflows and lists. Major issue I see is that assigning users and teams works differently accross those tools.

Examples:

- While forms and emails are automatically assigned to the creator and his team when creating a new one, workflows are not

- When cloning a form which is assigned to a team, the cloned form will not be assigned to any team. When cloning an email, the assignment is taken over.

- While on emails, forms, and lists you can mass assign users and teams, you cannot do so on workflows.

- Assigning users and teams works on mouseover (> the "More" button shows up) on emails, forms, and workflows. On lists you have to check the asset and navigate to the table header. 

- List  partioning needs some more thought, especially when it comes to the role of SuperAdmins and the permissions impact on  workflows, emails etc.. Example: As a SuperAdmin I would like to "lock" some lists that are essential for keeping the whole system up-and-running.  I just do not want any user to mess around with those lists.  I could not figure out yet what is the best way to do this.

Best Regards,

Folke 

0 Votes
Gozde
Participant

On dashboard side, in Beta version you have two options;

View and edit

View only

It would be much more helpful if we could decide which teams/users can have view&edit access and which teams/users can have view access only seperately. Currently the system is allowing us to set up only one access type, it doesn't let to mix both.

0 Votes
mgeorgieva

If I understand correctly, you should be able to specify which teams have view only access and which teams should have view & edit access. 

Or are you referring to the way we present these options and that it can be more efficient since now you have to assign View to a team or a group of teams, finish the flow, and then go back to assign View & Edit? 

If so, I get that, and will take back to the team.

Best,

Maggie

0 Votes
CuriousNY
Participant | Partenaire solutions Platinum

How does partitioning impact email caps?
Is there a demo to see how it would look?
Will templates be partitioned in the future?

Note on updates in general - our client is upset that new features are rolled out to ALL users in the portal without the admins receiving notifications. This leads to users getting permissions that they shouldn't have and admins not being aware of it... 
mgeorgieva

Thanks for the feedback!

- No impact on email caps

- We have this knowledge article - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/cos-general/assign-content-to-your-users-and-teams

- Good question. We are looking to see which tools make the most sense to partition next. Which templates are you referring to here?

Regarding the beta access - this is an account-level feature so once you start using it in the account, it will have far-reaching impact. I wonder who on the account requested access to the beta and can double check that (and if they were not an admin). If you DM me with a link, I can dig into it. 

Best,

Maggie

0 Votes
CuriousNY

Thanks for following up. I requested the portal to gain access. However, this appears to be an issue with previous roll outs, our main point of contact shared this concern with us (agency.) They are saying that users are getting access to new features without the leadership team realizing it. How can they be better aware of what new features are being released into their portal?

0 Votes
mgeorgieva

Thanks for the question! Right now the process for gaining access is the following - 

- Any user can go into Users & Teams and request access for the beta. Once they are granted access and email will go out to them to let them know.

- A HubSpot consultant can request access on behalf of their customer(s). Once they are granted access and email will go out to them to let them know.

In your case did leadership request access to it? Or did you the partner request it on their behalf?

This functionality isn't user-specific, it can affect the entire account so there is no way for us to release it only to one user. Let me know what your thoughts are!

Best,

Maggie

0 Votes
NicoleSengers
Guide | Partenaire solutions Elite
Guide | Partenaire solutions Elite

I am enjoying having the option for partitioning and like how the tool allows simple split up teams the ability to see only what is needed.

The more advanced use cases where there are super admins who oversee of a group of teams and want to edit and create across teams needs may need to be looked at. I work on account where there are 2 super admins who work across various levels of teams who need to create across teams but report across them as well.

We assumed super admins could see everything but this isnt true - there needs to be a all team access option for the main portal admin. as an agency we also need to be able to work accross accounts.

Thanks,

Nicole

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution

Kind regards,
Nicole Sengers
0 Votes
mgeorgieva

Thanks so much for the feedback, Nicole! I assume you want superadmins to see all contacts in a list - even the ones not assigned to anyone or not assigned to their team. Is that what you are describing or something else?

0 Votes