How are you using partitioning? What's working well and what can be improved?

mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

Hello all,

My name is Maggie Georgieva and I'm a Product Manager working to improve our customers' experience with users and asset management. We've recently launched partitions - the ability to assign assets such as landing pages, forms, calls-to-action, emails, lists, dashboards, email subscriptions to teams, and would love to hear how you are using it.

What are the primary ways in which you've separated your assets across teams? Was there anything that you wish worked differently? 

Share your feedback in this channel so we can learn from your experience, improve the features and expand on them in the way that makes the most sense to you. Thank you so much for your time and willingness to help.

Best,

Maggie

60 Antworten
tslatter
Teilnehmer/-in

Thanks for this.
I have been experimenting with partitioning lists.

I want to have set of lists that are shared with resellers, but where they can only see the contacts they own within that list. 
So, I have assigned ALL lists to my internal sales team.

I have then assigned just one of these lists to my dummy test external channel partner.

When I login as the channel partner, I can still see ALL the lists, even though I can only see the contacts that are owned by the channel partner. 
Am I doing something wrong? Ideally, I would like my channel partner to see only the lists to which they have access. I don't want them to be aware of the existence of any other lists.

0 Upvotes
mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

Thanks for this use case. I think what you are describing should work -

Team internal sales is assigned all lists

Team resellers is asigned one specific list

When team resellers logs in, they see only that speicifc list.

Is that how you want it set up? That's how it would work. I can do some troubleshooting if you share links and examples. Feel free to send over to mgeorgieva@hubspot.com

Best,

Maggie

0 Upvotes
tslatter
Teilnehmer/-in

Thanks Maggie. Yes, this is what I want to achieve. If it SHOULD work, then it's user error on my part and I'll try again. Thanks for your reply.

0 Upvotes
mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

I'm happy to sit down and walk through this together if you want, so just let me know!

0 Upvotes
jmarshall
Teilnehmer/-in

The tool is awesome!

One surprise I had was that the Workflows attached to the lists I partitioned stopped working immediately.

Although there was a warning about Workflows, I didn't realize this meant the Workflows triggered by these lists wouldn't work at all. Is there a circumstance where Workflows can still be triggered by specific team only lists? Some of the lists I want to protect are the same lists that trigger workflows. 

mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

This looks like a bug. Thanks so much for flagging us!

0 Upvotes
folked
Stratege/Strategin

Same issue here.  As a SuperAdmin I am not assigned to any Team. However I want to "lock" several lists, so they cannot be used by others users. What I did was to assgin those lists to a Team I set up just for this purpose without assigning a user to this team. The list size jumped to "0" and my workflows did not trigger anymore. 

Assign myself to a team does not work either, because I cannot access lists created by others users anymore (if they do not grant access to me).

As a SuperAdmin, what is the best way to "lock" admin lists from other users, while having access to ALL other lists at the same time? 

0 Upvotes
mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

You can create a team called Superadmins or Ops, add yourself to it and no one else, and assign lists to it. Would that work for you?

0 Upvotes
folked
Stratege/Strategin

Generally content partioning is more than welcome!

However, there are some things I have found to be not logical or working (or I just did not understand them):

1. List partitioning works differently than email/form partitioning: Checkboxes vs. dropdowns etc. (the HubSpot product teams do not seem to be aligned here) - this is the same for the information provided on the overview pages (updated by, last updated created on etc.), filter options, folder structure etc. Streamline this please!

2. When a user of a child team creates a list, this list is only assigned to the child team, but not to the parent team. 

3. If a child team user creates a list, are there really only contacts from that team on the list, or are there "unvisible" contacts from other teams in case they meet the filter criteria. In past, those unvisible contacts led to great problems when sending out emails, because the users thought they would target only their owned contacts, while actually they send emails to a much bigger group inlc. "foreign" contacts. 

4. As a SuperAdmin, if I access a list created by a child team user, I cannot only see the contacts, but not the filter criteria on the left side.

mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

Thanks for the feedback!

1. We're working on making this consistent.

2. In this situation the parent team can still see the list. Or are you seeing it behave differently?

3. If you create a list, you should see contacts owned by that team only and email those contacts only.

4. How would you expect this to work, as a superadmin?

0 Upvotes
KayleeG
Teilnehmer/-in

This update is great, being able to limit what dashboards our teams can access was necessary.

Being able to partition lists is fantastic too. Originally access to lists was given only to marketing users to prevent sales users from accidentally medalling with them. Now we can allow them to use lists while keeping marketing ones separate if we choose.

However, I wish when you selected a parent team that it didn't automatically include all child teams with no option to remove the child teams.

For example, I wanted to assign a management dashboard to a team of managers but I could not unselect the child teams and had to instead search each manager and assign to the individual users.

0 Upvotes
mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

Thanks for the feedback, Kaylee. That’s an interesting idea and your use case makes sense. I will bring back to the team for further discuss.

0 Upvotes
Zooma
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Diamond Partner
Mitwirkender/Mitwirkende | Diamond Partner

Questions / feedback / suggestions:

1. Is there a reason why logic for team selection, adding an asset to a certain team etc. is different between tools? (e.g. in lists there are checkboxes for selecting multiple teams whereas in forms there is a dropdown / single select. In forms it's possible to add a form to a team from the "actions" dropdown menu, whereas in lists that is not possible and so on...). Please, please align for the sake of reducing unnecessary friction.

2. What logic controls the order in which the teams are shown? The order in wich they are created or just random? When can we have a logic to set the order in which the teams are displayed, e.g. alphabetical? (team structure will vary over time for most)

3. Is there an official deep-dive into how the "primary" and "additional" team belonging logic is supposed to work?

4. What is the reason behind the limit to 1 primary team? The consequence for many will be that one have to create a "master" team and then put all child teams into that master team so that "super admins" can access all child team content. Example: Brand A and Brand B have the same super admin. That admin can only be primary in "team A" or "team B" if they are separated. So, in order to be super admin of both Brand A and Brand B, there needs to be two separate child teams in an "All brands" team. All brands > Brand A, Brand B. This then creates additional confusion as the default filter in e.g. forms says "All teams" so there would be both "All teams" and "All brands" as a possible filter in this case... The quick solution would be to allow multiple primary teams just as it's possible to have multiple additional teams

5. Consider to complexity of the primary and additonal team logic vs the user profile rights. Why not simply allow a user to belong to any suitable team, then control edit/view rights via the user profile. Drawback: If you have edit rights for a certain type of asset you would have edit rights for that asset type for all teams to which you belong, but that simplifies things to a level where most can understand it in my opinion. (It's complex enough as it is for the average user to understand what controls what to add yet another dimension with primary and additional.)

6. It seems that if you belong to the last level in a team structure, you will not see the "teams" filter menu in e.g. forms. This is OK as there would be a single option in that menu for this user, however it also seem to disable the ability for that user to allocate an asset to another team? Doesn't seem logical. This would mean that an admin of "Brand A" above would have to go through the super admin (which has access to both Brand A and Brand B) to assign a certain asset to "Brand B" and thus admin of Brand A can't help admin of Brand B on e.g. cloning a certain campaign, only the super admin could do that type of work. 

7. Related to point 4, 5 and 6. Is it necessary to control partitioning by team AND user? It would be simpler by just running partitioning by team and if you want partitioning, you add your user(s) to one or more teams. The current setup creates confusing acccess situations where it's difficult to understand why a certain user has access to a certain asset; is it because they are on the team or because they created a certain asset? (The reaons is that by default an asset belongs to the user that created it, and the primary (?) team to which that user belongs.)

Happy to take this conversation deeper over zoom 🙂

mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

Stellan and I chatted offline, but just to address some of the feedback here -

- We are addressing inconsistencies across tools. 

- We are going to get consistent in the order of the team too.

3, 4, 5. This is our guide for the Additional Teams feature - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/account/assign-users-additional-teams

Should reassigning to a team be an option a user has if they are on a specific team? We were thinking of this as a superadmin option but I see how it may be a bottleneck for larger teams looking to collaborate. Maybe there is an approval piece here.

So far our approach has been that permissions are assigned to users and teams are just groups of users who can have certain assets. It seems like the additional complexity comes in with the primary and additional teams and we should make that easier to understand.

kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hi Maggie,

Just wanted to clarify, if I am a user with limited access to contacts and I create a list with certain filters I can only see the contacts I have access to.  If I send an email to this list, is this the list of contacts that will get the email or will the email be sent to everyone that meets the requirements?  In the article, it says 'Partitioned lists cannot be seen or selected by users who are not on the assigned team. This applies to all tools, such as marketing email, workflows, and reports.' I just want to clarify that I am understanding correctly 🙂 Woohoo partitioning! 

mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

Thanks for the question, Katie. You will only send the email to the contacts you see in the list.

npruzaniec
Teilnehmer/-in

The new partitioning tools are so great, and definitely very welcome improvements! The only thing missing in it from us would be to allow Contact Property groups to be partitioned to teams as well. Any chance this is in the works? We have multiple teams who need to access the same contacts, but we want to keep brand specific information as private as possible.

mgeorgieva
HubSpot-Produktteam
HubSpot-Produktteam

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, that's in the works, so we can follow up with this group once it's available for beta.

npruzaniec
Teilnehmer/-in

Amazing, with that we I think we could actually expand our Hubspot use cases significantly. Good to hear!

0 Upvotes