Ask Me Anything and Panel Discussions

AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

I'm Angela, HubSpot Academy Professor. Ask Me Anything & get answers in a live broadcast!

Hi. I'm Angela, a Professor at HubSpot Academy. I'm here to answer your questions about HubSpot Marketing Free. Ask Me Anything! Some of your questions are going to be answered live during the HubSpot Academy Cap Show live broadcast, June 9 at 4 pm EST. You can start posting questions now and ask questions during the show!  

If you're not sure what to ask, here are some ideas:
  • How do you know when your lead flow is performing well? 
  • When should you contact leads based on their activity on the contact record?
  • What new training is the Academy team working on? 
  • How do I use traffic sources to improve conversion rates? 
  • What's your favorite ice cream flavor? (It's coffee! Really -- ask me anything.)
This AMA will be broadcast live on June 9, at 4:00 PM EST. Sign up and tune in here! All questions will be answered here by June 12, at 10:00 AM EST when this AMA closes. I will answer as many questions as I can during the live show! I can't wait!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Thanks to all who tuned in for The Cap Show last week. Check out the recorded show HERE to see myself and @Ty answer your questions on air 🙂
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
22 Replies 22
mkarsten
Top Contributor

I'm Angela, HubSpot Academy Professor. Ask Me Anything & get answers in a live broadcast!

Is there a recorded version of this broadcast available to access?

0 Upvotes
cristinaAW
Academy Team
Academy Team

Hi @mkarsten,

Unfortunately this broadcast is no longer available as a lot of our content has changed in the last few years!

Best,

Cristina 

0 Upvotes
Rdoherty
Participant

Hi Angela,

I thought I heard there was a solution to archiving contacts that are no longer viable leads, but deleting also deletes all data associated with the lead, which will make reports inaccurate.  I want to keep the data, but remove them from my active contact list.  Is there an archive solution, or a suggestion you may have to accomplish this?

Adrien

Hi Angela,

Thank you for taking time to answer your questions.

We're facing a problem in our Leadin online tool. Indeed, we use to collect a lot of forms coming from our website for more than 18 months now. And since the 23rd of May, we didn't received any new subscriptions, even if we're collecting a lot in our internal CRM, coming from website.

After that completion on Leadin, we linked the API with Campaign monitor to feed an automation process.

Therefore, nothing is working now, could you please help us and maybe have a look on our website to see what's going wrong?

==> www.desoutter.de  (Corporate: www.desouttertools.com)

Thank you for your time,

Have a great day,

Best regards,

Adrien Landrin

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

We're two hours away from the live broadcast!

Tune in from 4-4:30 pm ESTto hear the answer to some of the questions that have already been asked. If you've not posted a question yet, you still have some time to do so! This thread will close in a couple of days and all questions will be answered.

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
heatherstupi
Participant

Hi Angela, 

You mentioned in the "Creating the mobile optimized experience" video that you can use "@media" queries to remove certain aspects of a design from mobile. 

Can you show me how to use "@media" queries in the email design template? Specifically, I want this module (screenshot) to disappear when viewed on a mobile device. Where would I go to do this?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @heatherstupi,

Emails require a different approach since email clients render CSS differently. Your CSS must be written inline for emails: http://designers.hubspot.com/docs/cos/email-template-markup#hs-inline-css

Be sure to check out "the lack of support for CSS" link to see which style elements do/don't render in a variety of email clients. And keep in mind that this is still a rather newly supported feature in Gmail, which was made available Sept. 2016. (Read more here.)  Also, media queries aren't fully supported in email clients on mobile, just yet. This means you'd be running the risk of the content still rendering for a lot of users. Could you tell me a little more about what content you'd be hiding in the email that's viewed on a mobile device?

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
soffiemalt

Hey Angeia,

Nice to hear about you. I want to promote my website. I want to get traffic from all over the USA. Please suggest me that how can I use hubspot for such kind of things.....

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hello @soffiemalt,

Great to hear that you're ready to get started with inbound marketing to get more traffic to your website. Your first step is to create a buyer persona. How and why have you identified the USA as your primary target? Can you personify your ideal buyer? What is a buyer persona...? 

Please take a look at the persona templates found here: https://offers.hubspot.com/persona-templates . This is what you'll need to get going with inbound marketing. Also, the Inbound Certification walks through fundamentals of how to attract visitors to your website, convert them into leads, close more customers, and turn customers into promoters of your brand. Check it out: https://app.hubspot.com/signup/academy/

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Tagging @ddchbhs @Reyapb @RobSommers @pina @gtwright as I thought this Aske Me Anything would be of value to you, in light of queries and content if you have posted to the Community in the past! I hope this is helpful 🙂

P.S. @AngelaHicks on behalf of the Community, could you share some more about your role at HubSpot and what Academy's Inbound Professor team works on? Where can we find the latest news and updates on Academy trainings? Thanks! 🙂

pina
Contributor

Thanks @roisinkirby and @AngelaHicks

We're currently in the midst of revamping our email subscription preferences. Do you have any tips on the best way to go about deciding on email preference categories?

Also, how would we handle those that are already subscribed to certain categories, but then we go and change them? 

We're running into the situation where contacts may have unsubscribed from our emails - but then they sign up for a 60 day free trial and since they're unsubscribed, don't receive the activation email with product registration code. So possibly making a new category for those emails? 

Any advice would be appreciated! 

AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @pina,

When you undergo major changes to your email types, it's a great practice to notify your subscribers and let them update their email preferences. Here's a walkthrough of how to set up a link that will pull up the subscription settings. (Please note: the HuBL token is called {{unsubscribe_link}} , but don't concern yourself with the term "unsubscribe" . This token will simply direct the user to their specific email preferences page.)

The second part of your question, to interact with those who have unsubscribed, can be corrected in two different ways. First, you could send the activation emails that you mentioned as a transactional email. Read more about transactional emails here

If transactional emails aren't a possibility, you could set up resubscription emails for contacts who have unsubscribed, and when they sign up for your trial, are able to resubscribe to emails (and receive the activation email). See how resubscription emails work.

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
pina
Contributor

HI @AngelaHicks 

This is great info! Thank you so much. 

I really like the idea of using the transactional email option for our activation emails. 
But when I try to select it under the email type dropdown, it is not an option. How do I get it to appear as an option?

Thanks again. 

Pina

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @pina,

You might have missed the note in the article about Transactional Emails, but Transactional emails require the use of a unique, dedicated IP Address. Please contact your HubSpot customer success manager or sales representative for further details as Transactional email is a product add-on. If you don't go that route, you could try the resubscription email route, instead. I hope this helps! 

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @AngelaHicks, thanks for sharing!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on paid advertising (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Adwords). Can this really be done in an 'inboundy' way? What is HubSpot's view on how paid advertsing firts in with inbound marketing? 

0 Upvotes
AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Anonymous,

HubSpot's been thinking (and writing) about how paid distribution fits in with inbound marketing...it can be done! 

Here are three articles that I'd highly recommend reading:

How to Use Paid, Earned and Owned Media Tactics to Promote Content

Should You Pay for Content Distribution?

How to Get Started With Paid Search [Free Guide]

And for a little bit of HubSpot history, this six-year-old post lays out specific details as to how paid search can support your inbound marketing strategy: 4 Ways Paid Search Can Support Inbound Marketing

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
jeyso10

Hi there @AngelaHicks

I am looking for ways to segment my contacts who are coming in through my collected forms. I want to interact with them in an "inboundy" way (not send a generic welcome email), but because I have multiple forms on my site, I'm not always sure of the best way to segment the contacts to interact with them appropriately.

Any tips or examples of what others have done successfully in the past? 

AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @jeyso10,

It's great that you're thinking through what's the best way and best time to get in touch with your contacts. I'd highly recommend the Email Marketing Certification to learn how to best segment your contacts and nurture them effectively through email. The certification is full of examples of how other companies have achieved success. You can check it out here: https://certification.hubspot.com/email-marketing-certification-course 

Can you tell me a little about your business? There's not a one-size-fits-all approach to segmentation, so some details would aid me in coming up with a suggestion for you!

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy
0 Upvotes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AngelaHicks

My team and I are fairly new to HubSpot Marketing Free. I love the idea of lead flows, but am a little overwhelmed with where to start. Do you have any advice on best practice for lead flows and specifically how to use them in an inbound marketing manner (i.e. not having the same lead flow on every page of my site)?

Thank you! 

AngelaHicks
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @Anonymous,

I know that overwhelming feeling when there are so many possibilities with lead flows! You can learn about best practices with lead flows and figure out the best ways to use them for your business in this class: http://academy.hubspot.com/lead-flows-videos-training . Enjoy!

Best,
Angela | HubSpot Academy