Ask Me Anything and Panel Discussions

Jess_Salpietro
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Discussion: Growing Better with ABM

Account Based Marketing (ABM) is a focused growth strategy that helps businesses attract and convert ideal customers. 

Our latest live workshop featured product demo's and insights from HubSpot experts on our Product and Customer Success teams. 

We've gathered your questions from our live event and posted responses below. Do you have additional questions or feedback? Let's keep the conversation going. 

0 Upvotes
9 Replies 9
shaebert
Contributor

We only have HubSpot Professional Hub. When you're on the Target Accounts home page, why is the "Account Overview" preview hidden/locked? All the data can be found without having Sales Hub. I don't understand why it is locked. 

0 Upvotes
kreed
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Question: I'm curious about adding custom Buying Role fields. I found out we can add fields but we can't modify the default options. Is that accurate?

Answer: You’re correct! You can add custom options, but you can’t delete the defaults. The reason for this is that we use the defaults for some filters in the TA Home (e.g. the “No Decision Makers” filter, which allows you to see all Target Accounts where no associated contacts have been marked as a “decision maker” yet. If we let you delete the option, we couldn’t provide that filter, because it wouldn’t know what to look at. - Ethan, PM

0 Upvotes
kreed
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Question: What's the best way to deep dive on how to make the best use of the target accounts home?

Answer: The Target Accounts Home is really a prescriptive dashboard for sales and marketing to review their ABM strategy and hold one another accountable. The best way to get started is to mark TAs! Then, I’d recommend reviewing the board as the start of weekly or bi-weekly ABM standups between the two teams. - Ethan, PM

0 Upvotes
kreed
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Question: Can a contact have more than one buyer role? And if not, what are recommendations for a way to track this? For example, if someone has a setup where they may be working with a Designer on multiple target accounts and the Designer may have different buyer roles for each account. How can the differentiate that?

Answer: A contact can have multiple roles, but unfortunately you can’t connect those roles to different deals. Like, a contact can’t be a Decision Maker on one deal, but an influencer on another. This is purely because HubSpot doesn’t yet support that type of data structure - but we’re working on it! - Ethan, PM

0 Upvotes
kreed
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Question from Q&A:

Any way to filter companies in the ABM window based on certain criteria? (By industry, for example.)

Answer: The Target Accounts Home supports Industry, Lifecycle Stage, and Ideal Customer Profile Tier out of the box. Unfortunately, we don’t offer customization on this page. If you want to create a custom view with the same data, all of the properties used in that window are also available in the Companies page AND you can add in any custom properties you like to make filtered views. - Ethan, PM

0 Upvotes
kreed
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Question from Q&A:

Advice on setting up campaigns with multiple decision makers, multiple products, and various parent/child accounts not linked together?

Answer: My (Ethan) best advice here would be to try to make sure all the data is as accessible as possible in HubSpot. For example, we offer a “Buying Role” property - make sure it’s being used. If your products are yet in HubSpot, get them in HubSpot so you you can associate those products with Deals and make sure you know which target accounts have bought what. Keep the data in one place, that’s my advice. - Ethan, PM

0 Upvotes
kreed
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Question from Q&A:

Can you connect your ABM strategy to paid social and targeting across paid digital channels?

Answer: There’s two great ways to do this. First, you can use HubSpot Ads to deliver ads to different contact and company audiences using Contact and Company lists. Company-based audiences can only be synced over to LinkedIn, not Google or Facebook. If you want more advanced ad targeting, you can connect an ad provider like Triblio, Demandbase, RollWorks, Terminus. - Ethan, PM

0 Upvotes
kreed
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Question from Q&A:

When you're launching an ABM campaign that has an offline piece (ie direct mail) how can you track that properly? Shantal 

Answer: Direct Mail recipients are probably best tracked in a Contact or Company List in HubSpot. Contact Lists can now be added to the Campaigns tool, so that’s useful as well. - Ethan, PM

0 Upvotes
kreed
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Question from Q&A:

How often should you revise your target accounts if you are a very small company just starting out? - Arlene Saenz 

Answer: The short answer is, “not too often, but you will cycle them in an out regularly.” I’d give them a critical look once a month or once a quarter, and then determine which accounts you want to cycle in or out. If you have a long sales cycle (3+ months) make sure that you’re keeping that in mind and tracking leading indicators (like web engagement, # of meetings, etc.) so you don’t throw out accounts that might not have a deal yet, but just need more time. - Ethan Kopit, PM

0 Upvotes