Ask Me Anything and Panel Discussions

ncarbone
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

[CLOSED] Ask Me Anything - Changes to HubSpot Associations

This AMA is now closed, but you can read more about CRM associations improvements in our launch blog post and in the knowledge base!

Hi everyone, 

We’re Nick Carbone, go-to-market manager, and Jeff Vincent, product manager, at HubSpot.

We recently launched CRM associations improvements, a massive upgrade to the CRM that gives customers more flexibility to capture and track all the connections that make up their business. 

This launch includes a number of enhancements to associations, including the ability to associate more than one company record to a contact, deal or ticket, as well as label associations between records, so you can better reflect the exact nature of your business in HubSpot. 

This AMA will be open for questions from Monday, April 18 until Friday, April 22. All questions will be answered by Friday, April 22.

Best part? The AMA is happening right here - drop your questions regarding HubSpot payments in this thread. 

Not sure what to ask? Here are a few sample questions:

1. Will this change impact any of my data?
  2. How can I import data with multiple company associations? 
  3. How can I take advantage of new association types in workflows?
6 Respuestas 6
Jenny26
Colaborador líder

In my organization, we frequently have clients with over 5 contacts to as many as 100 contacts. I'm asked at my organization how to label a contact as the primary or billing. I created the custom association labels but these aren't seen if the labeled contact isn't listed in the 5 that show in the company record. When we click on "View ___ Contacts, " to bring up the table view of contacts for that company, the labels are no longer viewable.

Any advice on how to label (& sort) contacts so that our people can access them where they need them (in the company or deal records)?  Does this new association help with that? 

Thanks, in advance, for your help

0 Me gusta
jeffvincent
Equipo de producto de HubSpot
Equipo de producto de HubSpot

Hi @Jenny26, this is a great question. Our team is thinking about how we can provide sorting or searching capabilities to the record sidebar, to make this easier. I don't have an exact timeline for when this will be available.

As a temporary workaround, you can create a contact list, filtered to only show contacts with company associations labeled as "billing contact" etc. Then make sure to include the column "primary company" to see which contacts connect with which company.

Hope that helps in a pinch.

Jeff

Jenny26
Colaborador líder

Thank you, Jeff! I really appreciate your time in replying to me. I will try out the contact list idea.  Thank you, too, to your team for giving the search/sorting cabalities some thought. It helps knowing that you understand the need. 

All the best,

Jenny

0 Me gusta
chrisgrimmett
Participante | Partner nivel Platinum

Appreciate it! I'll be sure to share these with them!

0 Me gusta
chrisgrimmett

I've had a few clients now ask if HubSpot has a more extensive list of example use cases for each type of association (Ex: Contact->Company, Contact->Deal, etc.). They've appreciated the few that are provided in some of the documentation up to this point but would love more inspiration to lean on as their team determines what would be most impactful for their processes. Any chance HubSpot is working on something?

0 Me gusta
ncarbone
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

Hey @chrisgrimmett 👋

Here are some use cases for association labels we've seen over the past few months - hope this helps!

Company:Contact

• "Former employer" - Tracking where a contact used to work, for inside sales teams to identify leads already familiar with the business
  • "Primary POC" - Tracking which individual at the company will be the primary POC for service delivery or the overall working relationship 
  • "Advisor" - For coaching and education-based offerings to track who is being mentored by their different partner companies.
  • "Board Member/Investor" - To track non-employee relationships between a person and a company.

Company:Deal/Ticket

• "Partner/Service provider" - Track who is helping out in closing the deal.
  • "Re-seller" - Track who is doing the actual selling of a particular deal.

• "Buyer roles" - For assigning the different roles people can have in the buying process. For ensuring a decision-maker exists, for instance.
  • "Lead/Secondary" - Separating who is truly involved in the deal from additional people tangentially involved.
  • "Seller roles" - Track the different people (Partner, Consultant, Contractor, etc.) on the seller-side and their involvements. Has come up most for customers that leverage a partner GTM model (similar to HubSpot's).