Ask Me Anything and Panel Discussions

Jeffrey
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Ask Me Anything about the new Design Manager!

Hi everyone! I'm Jeffrey Vocell, a Product Marketing Manager at HubSpot and I'm joined by my Product Expert colleagues from Support. With the new Design Manager now in open beta (sign-up here if you don't have it yet), we're here to answer any questions about how to use it, HubL, and anything else to do with Design Manager.

To be clear -- we won't be able to help with custom design or building a site/page. If you need help building a website, or just a page we recommend checking out the Marketplace for templates or reaching out to a partner that can help

Here are a few to help get you started:

• What is different about the new Design Manager?
  • What's new with modules?
  • What are some tips & tricks that I should know about the new Design Manager?

Looking forward to your questions!

0 Upvotes
25 Replies 25
kleonard
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @danaketh ,  could you point to the post you're referring to, or a link to the module you're working on? I'd be happy to take a look at the module itself.

Adding fields in the right-hand pane in the module editor should create fields that are editable in the content editors by default, but you can toggle that in Edit Field -> Editor Options -> Prevent Editing in Content Editors .

Once you've added those module fields on the right-hand side, you should be able to edit their values in the content editor context. Adding the respective snippets for each field's value in the module's source code itself will render the field values (either the defaults or what's been edited at the content-level) in the content where the module is rendered.

0 Upvotes
danaketh
Participant

Considering it does require valid access, I guess I can just link it here like this:

https://app.hubspot.com/design-manager/2049682/modules/5580902228

Module is called Brand and it is really just a test. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

0 Upvotes
kleonard
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @danaketh , thanks for the link! I'd expect those fields to be editable-- in fact, I was able to recreate a nearly identical module to your example module that is editable (in the previewer and in the page editor context), so I'm not sure what's going on with that first one.

I'll have to take a deeper look into this particular module, but in the meantime, are you able to create new modules with editable fields?

0 Upvotes
danaketh
Participant

Thanks for looking into it @kleonard,

I think I've found where the problem is. You can check it there. I've made two new modules. One Global and one Local. In Global, I can't do a thing, the options are not showing up. But Local works just fine.

I haven't checked the documentation for the difference between them. I'd have expected them to be completely the same with only difference being in access or something. But since this option is new, I guess I'll need to read more about it.

0 Upvotes
kleonard
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Ah, yes-- that's it @danaketh. When the module's set to global, all of the fields will be locked. While this is working as intended, I think we could do a better job of exposing whether something is global in the UI, though. I'll talk to the team about this and write up an issue for it. While you're editing or previewing the module, there's no clear indication it's scoped globally.