Dashboards & Reporting

ChristianRieck
Contributor | Gold Partner
Contributor | Gold Partner

Attach document in email sent from contacts timeline

SOLVE

Hi, 

i am trying to send an email directly from my contacts timeline. When I try to attach a document which I already uploaded to HubSpot it always generates a link within the mail body (depending where the cursor is at the time I push the "attach" button). 

Deleting that (cryptic) link, it will also delete the attachment. 

Any suggestions on how to attach a pdf document directly to an email without having that link?

BR

Christian

Christian Rieck

Hubspot, Inbound Marketing,

CRM, Sales Enablement

christian@mark-lotse.com
www.mark-lotse.com
linkedin
Lust über HubSpot zu quatschen?
1 Accepted solution
BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hello @ChristianRieck,

Thank you for your question.

This is currently the expected behavior when adding an attachment to an email written on the contact record in the CRM.  Once the link is generated, you can click on the link and change the link text that is displayed in the email so that the recipient knows what it is.  You could even make the link text something like "example.pdf" 

You could also upload your PDFs into the "Documents" tool and insert the document into the email.  It still will generate a link, but you would then have the tracking/reporting functionality in the Documents tool.  

Another workaround, which may or may not be feasible would be to save your PDF as a JPEG image, and insert it into the email as the image file.  I know this probably isn't the best option, but since the tool doesn't allow PDFs to be directly inserted into the email, I figured it was worth mentioning.

I hope this helps clear things up.  

Brett

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hello @ChristianRieck,

Thank you for your question.

This is currently the expected behavior when adding an attachment to an email written on the contact record in the CRM.  Once the link is generated, you can click on the link and change the link text that is displayed in the email so that the recipient knows what it is.  You could even make the link text something like "example.pdf" 

You could also upload your PDFs into the "Documents" tool and insert the document into the email.  It still will generate a link, but you would then have the tracking/reporting functionality in the Documents tool.  

Another workaround, which may or may not be feasible would be to save your PDF as a JPEG image, and insert it into the email as the image file.  I know this probably isn't the best option, but since the tool doesn't allow PDFs to be directly inserted into the email, I figured it was worth mentioning.

I hope this helps clear things up.  

Brett

AlexanderSc

SOLVE

This is completely unpractical! Why isn't there a possibility to just use attachments in a normal way? This is technically much easier and often a desired behaviour. Especially when I first approach somebody, who will click on a link in an email instead of just opening a PDF File?

This is a very bad feature.

nicolebrenner
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey @AlexanderSc - creating documents as a link is the only way we have to track these documents and to provide you valueable insights into who's viewing them. If it's just a standard attchment, we lose that functionality. I can understand why this might be a bit different than the format that you currently use, but will help you get better data about the performance of the documents that you share with your contacts! 

0 Upvotes
LGretillat
Participant

SOLVE

What if we do not need to track it and just want to include it as a document for them to reference?  I agree - the link method is a bad feature.

0 Upvotes
BastienRifflart
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @nicolebrenner

If a traditionnal attachment is not currently available, is there any way we can modify the link which appears in the URL which prospect click on the link and avoid them to see "app.hubspot.com"?

Thank you in advance for your answer. 

Bastien

0 Upvotes
nicolebrenner
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @BastienRifflart, the app.hubspot url is crucial for tracking, so the only way to remove that would be to cease tracking that link. 

0 Upvotes
myndinextier

SOLVE

@nicolebrenner 

Attaching a PDF as a link is fine, especially if it provides greater tracking capabilities. However, when the PDF is clicked from a mobile device, it's blurry. The PDF is a tutorial and is most likely going to be opened via mobile, so readability is key. The pixelated display is not the case when it's attached like a traditional attachment. Do you have any suggestions?

0 Upvotes
nicolebrenner
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @myndinextier, could you share a screenshot of what your document's look like in a mobile view? If there's something altering that functionality I'd love to see what you're experiencing 

0 Upvotes
afauske
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Brett, 

I'm wondering why we are experiencing 2 odd things.  One, is that if I send the email with an attachment by using the little clip icon at the email area, I cannot see it in my history but the receiver can.  Conversely, if I try using the attachment area at the bottom left corner, the receiver does not see it but it is in my history.

Also, to try to use the "Documents" feature, there are 4 documents loaded (we are not sure how) but no place to add more - wondering how those got there. 

Thank you so much!

0 Upvotes