Advocates Blog

danmoyle
Von: Koryphäe | Elite Partner
Koryphäe | Elite Partner

How I Use HubSpot Sales Hub as a Trainer

You might wonder how I can claim to use Sales Hub. As a HubSpot Advisor and trainer, I’m not running forecasts and setting up discovery calls. I’m not managing revenue and selling products. Well, not exactly, anyway.

As Daniel Pink proposes, we’re all in sales. After spending 90 days together going through an onboarding adventure, I’ve gained the trust of a client. At the end of the journey, I have the opportunity to continue that relationship with additional services. #sales

Plus, throughout the process, I’m using Sales Hub tools to communicate efficiently, consistently, and effectively. 

Here’s a look at how we're using Sales Hub even in Learning and Development.

danmoyle_0-1675363131883.png

The Sales Hub tools I use regularly as a Trainer:

• Templates
  • Snippets
  • Meetings
  • Playbooks
  • Payments 
  • Documents
  • Sequences
  • Custom object pipeline (not exactly sales, but the same idea)

Templates

I can set myself up with templates for consistent messaging, like my “welcome to your onboarding” email for each new client. 

Whether it’s m sending it or a colleague, our consistently helpful, welcoming, and professional but casual tone brings people in. Bonus: It takes seconds, and we don’t have to copy from a document and paste it into an email. 

I also use these templates for quick hits, like when a client is late to a session (it happens, we’re all on Zoom and in other meetings all day). Instead of thinking about a new way to say it or remembering how I said it last time, I engage the “late” template, which includes a prompt to paste the meeting link for their convenience. 

danmoyle_1-1675363131874.png

Snippets

The Snippets tool is one of my favorite “little” features, from sharing resources to answering frequently asked questions. 

In HubSpot training and set-up, integrations are critical to cover. Especially the Salesforce and HubSpot connection. So after the lesson, if my new friends have questions and need additional help, I have a snippet with all the resources and can simply email a reply with #SFDC, and HubSpot populates everything they need. Win!

danmoyle_2-1675363131882.png

Meetings

How many times does this happen to you? I’ve sent an email to a client to set up a kickoff call (or any training session/call, really) and given a couple of random times I’m available, wondered if it’s the right time zone, and waited for the inevitable, “How about this time instead?” 

I can’t be the only one. 😆

Instead, I use meeting links for these scenarios. The best part? With Sales Hub, I can have multiple meeting links. This means I can have various availabilities, different run times, and extended or shorter scheduling options into the future… all the while measuring the meeting types in my reporting. 

What meeting types do I have? Here are a few:

• Onboarding kickoff meetings
  • Additional training sessions for existing clients
  • Paid consulting hour
  • 15-minute networking session
  • Internal meetings

I use each meeting link for different scenarios, and it’s easy to insert proposed times or just the link simply. I love it!

Payments 

In the list above, you may have caught “paid consulting hour.” This meeting link includes the step to take a payment. This makes it very easy to sell consulting with one-time meetings. 

It also makes it easy to show the value of longer engagements like a 10-session project or a long-term retainer. 

All of these options use Payments as the backbone, putting the power of making the payment in the prospect’s hands. 

Playbooks

As part of my job, I work with new HubSpot customers in the Partner Scaled Onboarding (PSO) program. This means the learners aren’t full clients. Yet. 

In addition to teaching HubSpot, another goal is to wow them and invite them to consider working with our team. 

Remember though: I’m not “in sales” officially. So when it’s time to hand off a prospect after they’ve shown interest, I want to make sure our sales team has all the information they need to have a successful, meaningful discovery call. 

In other words, I don’t want the client to feel like it’s a cold handoff. They should feel seen and heard and in good hands. 

So I use Playbooks. We built a playbook with our sales team to answer the important questions, including “Add historical knowledge or any recorded notes here.” This helps me gather the important information in one place so our sales team sees it in one place and can have an effective-yet-efficient discovery call. 

They can ask deeper questions with confidence because they have a lot of necessary information at their fingertips. 

This happens to be my favorite Sales Hub feature. I think you can see why.

danmoyle_3-1675363131868.jpeg

Documents

This tool isn’t one I use often, but I do love the power of it. We have a sales sheet for our LearningOps team. Instead of attaching it as a PDF in an email and wondering if the prospect has even looked at it, we use Documents. 

The link in the email is better than a PDF. We can see analytics. It’s always the most current version. 

The Documents feature is an easy “yes” when it comes to Sales Hub tools.

Sequences

I’m not great at follow-ups. I admit it. New clients come in, and my “big idea” to ask in a few weeks if a learner who’s graduated would like to work with our amazing team disappears like Vision after The Snap. 

So whether it’s an incoming client or an outgoing graduate, I’m using Sequences to ensure I stay in touch with the person. 

One simple sequence we created includes a reminder that HubSpot asks for feedback, sends an email reiterating the resources they continue to have access to, and then offers additional help based on actual conversations. 

That last one puts “placeholder properties” to use, meaning we have to put real proposals for solutions in them. It’s great!

danmoyle_4-1675363131885.png

Custom object pipeline

The final Sales Hub tool I use as a trainer is something we have to unpack a little bit. 

Salespeople have pipelines with stages (and hopefully automation!). As trainers, we have a Custom Object that includes a pipeline. It’s not revenue-based, but it does operate in much the same way. 

Our stages include:

• Assigned from HubSpot
  • Welcome email sent
  • Kickoff call scheduled
  • Working on set-up tasks
  • Working on goal 1
  • Working on goal 2
  • Working on goal 3
  • Schedule graduation call
  • Complete

With this pipeline, we can see at a glance where our learners are situated in their journey. Plus, I love the automation at each stage, like assigning a task or changing a property. 

So while it’s not the Deals pipeline, we’re using the sales tactic of a pipeline to ensure a smooth training journey. 

Sales Hub for All

For these reasons and more, I’m an advocate of using sales tools across teams. 

You may not use revenue-based tools, but we can all benefit from more efficient, effective, and consistent communication. 

So I say, “Sales Hub for all!”