Ads

jlugbill

Mismatched Final URLs with Hubspot Tracking Links

SOLVE

Hello,

We are trying to use Hubspot tracking links for a campaign (eg. hubs.li/H0TSVyX0)  Because these URLs redirect, Google Ads is disapproving them given the final URL and destination URL do not match.

What is the workaround here?  I have to imagine there is a solution here?  In this instance, we are sending people to job application pages that integrate with our applicant management solution. We cannot pass UTMs through their forms, so was hoping we could use Hubspot forms for tracking, but Google support is telling me there isn't anything we can do.

Thank you!

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @jlugbill 

We always use a full URL in Google Ads, so we have not faced this issue.

According to HubSpot Ads Tracking Doc , The destination URL in the Google ad must be a full URL and not shortened by a link shortener (e.g., bit.ly, with the exception of hubs.ly). Link shorteners strip parameters from the end of the URL and prevents tracking.

If you're not able to use HubSpot short URL, please use the full URL. Before that make sure, you are using HubSpot hidden form fields to capture those utm_ values, that you're passing via URL. 

Thanks @sharonlicari for the tag.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost

View solution in original post

Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hubspot links are similar to bit.ly or other redirection tools, and ad platforms including google (or even social networks) see this as deceitful because you are sending the visitor to a link other than what they clicked on.  Can you run analytics on your career like with Google Analytics for example?  If so, you might be able to do the Events I was talking about to listen for a button click or form submission and capture that as a conversion back to Google Ads.  If not and tracking the talent marketing you are doing is important, I would recommend examing alternative software to manage your career site that will allow you to integrate analytics as you need to accurately report on your initaitives.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
jlugbill

SOLVE

Hi Ben,

Unfortunately, that is not possible because the landing page is hosted by the client applicant management SaaS, and we cannot pass hidden UTMs through that form (hence us using tracking links).  

Sounds like they just need to upgrade their AMS (Greenhouse) to allow for that.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hubspot links are similar to bit.ly or other redirection tools, and ad platforms including google (or even social networks) see this as deceitful because you are sending the visitor to a link other than what they clicked on.  Can you run analytics on your career like with Google Analytics for example?  If so, you might be able to do the Events I was talking about to listen for a button click or form submission and capture that as a conversion back to Google Ads.  If not and tracking the talent marketing you are doing is important, I would recommend examing alternative software to manage your career site that will allow you to integrate analytics as you need to accurately report on your initaitives.

Ben_M
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@jlugbill - As mentioned, Google will not accept redirects, so there is not really a workaround for what you are trying to do with the hubspot URLs.  You mentioned that the Careers site you are pointing to does not accept UTM parameters.  I am a bit surprised at this because UTMs will tell you things like whether the traffic is from organic search, referral, etc. and you could be missing out on tons of data outside of your advertising.  Are there other parameters that you can capture at the time of that submission? If so you can customize the Google Ads parameters to include that unique parameter to track the campaign conversions.

If not, you could look into a more complex solution like Event Tracking through Custom Behavioral Events in Hubspot, or Events Tracking in an analytics platform (ie: Google Analytics).

0 Upvotes
jlugbill

SOLVE

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply.  The issue is that they are using an applicant management system that does not allow hidden fields to be passed through the form (the CTA). As a result, we lose visibility into applicant quality (and count).  The hope was that the Hubspot links would be the solve for this.

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi @jlugbill 

We always use a full URL in Google Ads, so we have not faced this issue.

According to HubSpot Ads Tracking Doc , The destination URL in the Google ad must be a full URL and not shortened by a link shortener (e.g., bit.ly, with the exception of hubs.ly). Link shorteners strip parameters from the end of the URL and prevents tracking.

If you're not able to use HubSpot short URL, please use the full URL. Before that make sure, you are using HubSpot hidden form fields to capture those utm_ values, that you're passing via URL. 

Thanks @sharonlicari for the tag.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @jlugbill 

Welcome to the Community!

I'm wondering if @Aakar @Jonno_Price @Ben_M has explored this before.

Also, you can check what @hpande has shared in this thread

Thanks

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes