Ads

BartVDK
Contributeur

Manage third party cookies and consent in Hubspot (GDPR-related) for LinkedIn and Google Ads

Hello,

We are working on setting up our first major Hubspot-site and being based in Europe we have to be a bit carefull with Cookies and consent. It is quite clear from the documentation that Hubspot manages its own cookies AND the facebook cookie that is placed when you link the Facebook Pixel to your account. On this page (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/reports/customize-your-cookie-tracking-settings-and-privacy-policy-ale...) I see the following information :

Please note: if you're using the HubSpot ads tool to add a pixel to pages with the HubSpot tracking code, your privacy policy banner will automatically display when the pixel fires on your pages. If you require visitors to opt into cookie tracking, the pixel will not be able to place any cookies until the visitor confirms their consent.

Does this mean that Linked-In and Google Ads are also prevented from placing cookies as long as consent isn't given?

We like the idea to add the pixels for our social media accounts directly to hubspot (to create audiences and for reporting) but it's not very clear to me wether this might create a problem for the GDPR. It's just a bit strange that Facebook is so clearly mentioned while nothing on Linked-In and Google Ads (https://knowledge.hubspot.com/reports/what-cookies-does-hubspot-set-in-a-visitor-s-browser#ads-track...).

To manage other third Party cookies we are planning to use the Google Tag manager and only allow it to fire up extra cookies if the Hubspot Consent variable is positive. But now we are wondering if we should add Linked-In and Google Adwords to the GTM too and remove the pixel from Hubspot (to avoid double pixels). 

Any ideas or Best Practices to recommend?

10 Réponses
Nynke_HM
Contributeur de premier rang | Partenaire solutions Diamond
Contributeur de premier rang | Partenaire solutions Diamond

Manage third party cookies and consent in Hubspot (GDPR-related) for LinkedIn and Google Ads

Hi @BartVDK ,

Thanks for tagging me @JessicaH 

Familiar issue you're sharing here Bart! Since modern websites usually contain a lot of trackers and different kind of cookies, we advice HubSpot users to use a external cookie functionality like Cookiebot.

We think HubSpot's cookie notification is sufficient only in case HubSpot is only tracking HubSpot cookies and/or Google Analytics is integrated.

l'll definitely upvote your idea!

Nynke

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
BartVDK
Contributeur

Cookiebot is a solution we are considering but I'm looking for developers who have succesfully implemented Cookiebot without breaking the functionality within Hubspot to create audiences based on social media activity. Would be nice to hear some thoughts or get feedback.

0 Votes
JessicaH
Ancien salarié HubSpot
Ancien salarié HubSpot

Hi @BartVDK,

I'm going to tag some thouhtleaders to see if they can share their experience with you.

Hi @timfresen @Nynke_HM @mike-ward, could you share your thoughts with @BartVDK

Thanks!

Jess 

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

magmar
Contributeur | Partenaire solutions Platinum

Hi, we have a similar issue and have only a partly solution. For GDPR compliance we need to allow the visitor to allow/disallow cookies on a granular level. We are using an external consent managager (usercentrics) and therefore need to be able to remote control
a) the HubSpot cookies
b) all other trackers/pixels

We've managed to "hack" the HubSpot consent manager by hiding the consent window  via CSS and clicking allow/disallow via JavaScript - based on the given consent (via API of the consent manager).
But we are struggling with the ad pixels beeing tied to the HubSpot consent. So my only solution was to remove those pixels and set them manually. This again produces errors (no pixel connected) within HubSpot ads, e.g. when creating audiences. 

Any ideas of how we can make this work or any updates on a more granular consent management from within HubSpot?

Thanks in advance

Martin

BartVDK
Contributeur

We are considering implementing Cookiebot to allow this granular level. I fear that we will have to disconnect all the pixels from Hubspot to make really sure that no cookies are placed. Your "hack" is indeed the way I would follow too but you have already experienced it's no smooth ride. Shouldn't we request this granular acceptation as a feature request with Hubspot?

magmar

This would be a good idea to have this as a feature request. Maybe it would be even better, if HubSpot would add functions to remote-control the HubSpot consents via API calls, so we would be free to use any consent management tool. Do you know where I can post this as a feature request?

0 Votes
BartVDK
Contributeur

Hello,

This is done here : https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/idb-p/HubSpot_Ideas. I found some threads that already talk about it (and the lack of granular consent). However no real solution is offered.

Some examples :

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/GDPR/Cookie-consent-per-cookie-categorie/m-p/191112

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Mandatory-GDPR-cookies-treatment/idi-p/264540

It seems that Hubspot is improving the GDPR-compliance of its cookiebanner system because the control of GA, Facebook, linkedIn and other linked platform-cookies was only recently implemented. But the granular approach is something that is a grey zone. So I would suggest to relaunch the idea but this time very clearly described.

0 Votes
BartVDK
Contributeur

0 Votes
BartVDK
Contributeur

Well, the thing is, I contacted support with the same question and they confirmed that ALL third party cookies that are linked through Hubspot Ads are also managed by the Hubspot consent-mechanism. So it seems that when you link Google Ads, linkedIn and Facebook to your account you are in the clear. Other third-party platforms that you link by manually adding a pixel or a code snippet in your main template are however not handled so be carefull when you do that.

mistert
Participant

Do you know if this also applies for NON hubspot sites?

0 Votes