Ads

RosieBeasley

Linkedin lead gen forms - mapping custom email field

SOLVE

Hi everyone.

We use lead gen forms on Linkedin ads which populate those leads to Hubspot. 

Unfortunately the default email field on Linkedin autopopulates with the linkedin user's account email and it's usually their personal one. As a b2b organisation, this isn't ideal.

The only way I can see to have a non-autopopulated field is to use a custom field. But if I create the custom field and name it 'Email address' will Hubspot be able to sync it to its own default email field?

Hope that makes sense.

thanks,

Rosie

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Excellent question, @RosieBeasley.

We solve for this using a pair of CUSTOM Contact properties to store the respective email data -- i.e., 'Email - Work' and 'Email - Personal' (naming helps with sorting). Then we use a workflow to COPY if/when our critera are met.
- see image

HubSpot Workflow: Copy Email AddressHubSpot Workflow: Copy Email Address

Notes:

- We try to be extra careful and avoid destroying EXISTING personal email data. I mean, HubSpot stores history for all properties, but why create additional work when not necessary.

- We also include additional delays in the workflow -- a best practice removed here for brevity.

Recommendation: DO NOT USE the 'Work Email' contact property (if it exists in your portal). It has a very specific and impactful purpose.
- see below
Work Email (work_email)
A contact's work email. This property is required for the Facebook Ads Integration. This property will be automatically synced via the Lead Ads tool.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Excellent question, @RosieBeasley.

We solve for this using a pair of CUSTOM Contact properties to store the respective email data -- i.e., 'Email - Work' and 'Email - Personal' (naming helps with sorting). Then we use a workflow to COPY if/when our critera are met.
- see image

HubSpot Workflow: Copy Email AddressHubSpot Workflow: Copy Email Address

Notes:

- We try to be extra careful and avoid destroying EXISTING personal email data. I mean, HubSpot stores history for all properties, but why create additional work when not necessary.

- We also include additional delays in the workflow -- a best practice removed here for brevity.

Recommendation: DO NOT USE the 'Work Email' contact property (if it exists in your portal). It has a very specific and impactful purpose.
- see below
Work Email (work_email)
A contact's work email. This property is required for the Facebook Ads Integration. This property will be automatically synced via the Lead Ads tool.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
RosieBeasley

SOLVE

Thanks Frank that's really helpful. Do you find that asking people to input an additional work email address puts them off registering on the form?

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

@MFrankJohnson@lynton@Kim_HM do you have any thoughts for @RosieBeasley for increasing form submission rates? 

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag, @jennysowyrda.

Conversion rates on web forms are highly variable and contextual. That being said, here are a couple key takeaways from the articles cited at the end of this thread and from our own experience.

-1- Forms that do not FORCE submission tend to convert better than those that do. This also speaks to a developing marketing trend to ungate content.

Data captured from these optional forms tends to be of higher quality (i.e., more accurate), and tends to have higher conversion value. A positive biproduct of this trend is less time spent qualifying (or UNqualifying) junk leads.

-2- Multi-step forms convert 86% higher. Only 40% of marketers use them, but those that do report 17% higher satisfaction rates with their lead generation efforts.

hubspot-forms-multi-step-forms-convert-86-percent-higher-20191016.png

We've had similar experiences across multiple client accounts. However, it's worth repeating that web form conversion rates are highly variable and contextual.

- see Forms Aren't Dead: The State of Email Lead Capture in 2019

- see 7 Ways to Increase Your Form Field Conversion Rate (Neil Patel, 2015)

- see The End of Web Forms (Toptal, 2017)

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com