Ads

JovanaJankovic
Participant

Facebook Pixel won't Verify

SOLVE

Hello everyone, 

I am just starting with Ads in my marketing campaign and checking if everything is connected right. When we made our site, a year and a half ago, we connected Pixel, but now when I check it, it has some error. 

I am seeing this error - https://prnt.sc/1s5ff1p

It says my Pixel is not optimized for ad delivery. 

Facebook made some changes due to Apple's iOS 14 changes. 

When I go in to fix it, I see this screen that is giving me instructions to add a meta tag to my <head> section on a home page. https://prnt.sc/1s5n2tr

I did everything as instructed, you can see the tag in my source code https://prnt.sc/1s5n7e9

But when I try to verify it, I am getting the error. https://prnt.sc/1s5n9sn 

I've tried contacting Facebook Support, but unsuccessfully. 

Does someone know how to solve this? 
Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
DavidDennison
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi there!

So first things first, the pixel and the domain verification are two seperate things. Let's go over your pixel first.

Pixel Basics

Installing your pixel on your website can be done be adding a few lines of code to your website, using a plugin (such as for Wordpress), or done through a partner integration. Depending on your website, you'll have to choose the option that is best for your situation.

Once this code is installed on your website, there isn't a verification process per se. Once it's there, it's there. You can check if it's there by using a simple chrome extension. Find it here: Facebook Pixel Helper.  Once you have that downloaded, head over to your website and click on the extension. If your pixel is installed correctly, then it will show you relevant information, including your pixel ID.

To address your first picture that stated the information about iOS 14 was an error. It's not really an error. This is just a warning that pops up telling you that you have not set up aggregated events yet for your pixel, but I will get into that in a minute.

Domain Verification Error

This looks like it should be a pretty simple fix as it looks like you left out just a tiny piece of the code. However, without looking at the code of your website myself, it could be a few different issues with the HTML code that appears above the FB verification. This could be especially true because I see that you have a script running above it. If you'd like to personally message me your website, I'd be happy to take a deeper look for you, but I think I see the issue.

It looks like you forgot to include the last "/" before the ">". This is important because it signifies the line ending.  So it could be trying to just read those 3 lines as one verification. Copy and paste exactly how it is seen in the picture. Again, there also could be something else on your website's code changing things.

• I would recommend using the DNS option to vierify, which is much easier if you aren't familiar with editing and troublshooting HTML code. All this option requires is for you to add a TXT in your DNS configuration. So as long as you have access to your hosting provider such as GoDaddy, you can easily go in and add it in there. Once that's done, you can go verify within 30 seconds.

It's also important to mention that not all businesses need to have their domain verified. Depending on what you're doing you may not need it. However, always recommend to verify the domain. This could help you further down the road if you ever get hacked, and also let's you prevent other from link editing.

The last thing you need to do is set up your aggregated events. I'm sure this might all seem like mumbo jumbo to you, so I've gone ahead and written you a brief step by step guide from the very beginning below. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to reach out! Best of luck!

Verify Domain and Correctly Installing Your Pixel

1. First, you have to verify the domain with FB. You can do this by either 1. Uploading an HTML file to the website's root directory, 2. Adding a meta-tag to the <head> section of your domain page, or 3. By DNS verification which requires you to add a TXT record in your DNS config. Neither of these options are exactly easy if you don't know your way around websites.

2. Second, you need install the FB pixel code on your website. FB explains these instructions step by step. After that, you need to go to the pixel settings and set up your conversion API. It will have a button that says "Choose Partner." This is the button you want to click on. The partner they are referring to is the actual ecommerce side of your website such as WooCommerce, Shopify, Wordpress, Magento, ETC. You will need the login to those portions of your web stack in order to connect it.

*setting up the Conversion API is VERY important. With the changes that iOS 14, your pixel has a chance to miss out on important data. With the CAPI, the events are fired on the server side of your website. You still need to install the pixel code on your website. Events from both WILL be deduplicated.*

3. Third, go back to the pixel settings under data sources in your business manager. Select your pixel, and then click "Aggregated Event Measurement." Then click "Configure Web Events." Select your website and click "Manage Events." Now you'll have a screen that either has no events, or has some events ranked from highest priority to lowest. Depending on your website and what your ultimate goal is for users, you need to select which one is most important. For example, if you sell things on your website, the conversion event will need to be at the top of the priority list, since that is the number one action you want users to do. Then you will list the other events on your website in order of importance. If you don't know much about ecommerce or funnels, this section might be a little hard for you to complete. FINALLY click submit.

Next, what I would do is go back to your pixel and open the event setup tool and double check that all your buttons and links are firing for the events that you want. Again, this might be hard if you're not aware of ecommerce and such. To help you, make sure that "Track events automatically without code" is turned ON. As events happen on your website, this will help to automatically generate those events without having to manually set it up. Again, you are still going to want to keep an eye on it and make sure those events are correct and nothing is missing.

As for the maximum of 8 events, it is referring to the fact that you can only have 8 events. Before, you could have as many different events on your website that you could make up (in theory). Now FB will only keep track of the highest priority event that happens on your website. For instance, if a customer completes check out and purchases an item from your store, they will no longer track them as an "add to cart" event, only the "conversion" event.

This can definitely be super complicated if you've never done it before, and it's best to ask for help instead of trying to go it alone and potentially screw up your ads! If you have any other questions, feel free to reply here and I'll try my best to answer them! Happy Socialing!

David Dennison

Search Engine Optimization

and Content Marketing Expert

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website
https://daviddennison.com

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
JovanaJankovic
Participant

SOLVE

Hey Guevara,

The solution for me was to verify it through DNS. Try that one it should work. 

CGuevaraCastr
Participant

SOLVE

Hello 

i hace the dame problem 

JovanaJankovic
Participant

SOLVE

When I go there it just asks me for verification I can't do at the moment. And I haven't yet tried the DNS solution. The person that has permission and knowledge for the DNS is currently on vacation, so I will have to wait.

Anyway, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, you've been very helpful. You spent so much time helping me, #Kudos for you!

DavidDennison
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Any time! Don't hesistate to reach out if you need any more help!

David Dennison

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website
JovanaJankovic
Participant

SOLVE

Yeah, the pixel is working, but I didn't manage to fix domain verification. I just copy the code Facebook provided me, put it on my home page and it doesn't work. Do you know how can this affect my reports? 

And as for aggregated events, this is the only place I managed to find something like this. I can't find it anywhere else. https://prnt.sc/1sk9y0j Not sure if you are referring to this. 

DavidDennison
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Yes that's where! Can you click that blue button that says "configure web events" and then send a screenshot of what's in there please? Then I can help you with that.

Domain verification won't affect your reports at all. Your pixel will still fire off on events. However, others may be able to edit your links. What does this mean? Anyone on Facebook can run ads with your website link. Without domain verification they can change the information that is shown including images. Most businesses don't have to worry about this, and it's just another security message. Have you tried verifying with the DNS option?

David Dennison

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website
0 Upvotes
DavidDennison
Key Advisor

SOLVE
Awesome! Looks like your pixel is working just fine! One quick thing though: can you go into aggregated events inside the event manager? I want to make sure that you have those set up correctly because that is really what will get ya.

Also, did you happen to fix getting your domain verified?

David Dennison

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website
JovanaJankovic
Participant

SOLVE

Hey David,

Thank you very much for your answer! 

Thank you for that Pixel extension, I didn't know about it. It looks like my pixel is working just fine https://prnt.sc/1sf80yv

And here is my website, feel free to check whatever you think has a problem. I would really appreciate that!

https://www.mods.solutions/

And regarding forgetting to put / before >. I just checked it and when I go to edit my page and look at the code, I have /, but when I go to the source of my code from my home page, I don't see the /.

In editor with / - https://prnt.sc/1sf9ife

In source without / - https://prnt.sc/1sf9kpj

DavidDennison
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi there!

So first things first, the pixel and the domain verification are two seperate things. Let's go over your pixel first.

Pixel Basics

Installing your pixel on your website can be done be adding a few lines of code to your website, using a plugin (such as for Wordpress), or done through a partner integration. Depending on your website, you'll have to choose the option that is best for your situation.

Once this code is installed on your website, there isn't a verification process per se. Once it's there, it's there. You can check if it's there by using a simple chrome extension. Find it here: Facebook Pixel Helper.  Once you have that downloaded, head over to your website and click on the extension. If your pixel is installed correctly, then it will show you relevant information, including your pixel ID.

To address your first picture that stated the information about iOS 14 was an error. It's not really an error. This is just a warning that pops up telling you that you have not set up aggregated events yet for your pixel, but I will get into that in a minute.

Domain Verification Error

This looks like it should be a pretty simple fix as it looks like you left out just a tiny piece of the code. However, without looking at the code of your website myself, it could be a few different issues with the HTML code that appears above the FB verification. This could be especially true because I see that you have a script running above it. If you'd like to personally message me your website, I'd be happy to take a deeper look for you, but I think I see the issue.

It looks like you forgot to include the last "/" before the ">". This is important because it signifies the line ending.  So it could be trying to just read those 3 lines as one verification. Copy and paste exactly how it is seen in the picture. Again, there also could be something else on your website's code changing things.

• I would recommend using the DNS option to vierify, which is much easier if you aren't familiar with editing and troublshooting HTML code. All this option requires is for you to add a TXT in your DNS configuration. So as long as you have access to your hosting provider such as GoDaddy, you can easily go in and add it in there. Once that's done, you can go verify within 30 seconds.

It's also important to mention that not all businesses need to have their domain verified. Depending on what you're doing you may not need it. However, always recommend to verify the domain. This could help you further down the road if you ever get hacked, and also let's you prevent other from link editing.

The last thing you need to do is set up your aggregated events. I'm sure this might all seem like mumbo jumbo to you, so I've gone ahead and written you a brief step by step guide from the very beginning below. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to reach out! Best of luck!

Verify Domain and Correctly Installing Your Pixel

1. First, you have to verify the domain with FB. You can do this by either 1. Uploading an HTML file to the website's root directory, 2. Adding a meta-tag to the <head> section of your domain page, or 3. By DNS verification which requires you to add a TXT record in your DNS config. Neither of these options are exactly easy if you don't know your way around websites.

2. Second, you need install the FB pixel code on your website. FB explains these instructions step by step. After that, you need to go to the pixel settings and set up your conversion API. It will have a button that says "Choose Partner." This is the button you want to click on. The partner they are referring to is the actual ecommerce side of your website such as WooCommerce, Shopify, Wordpress, Magento, ETC. You will need the login to those portions of your web stack in order to connect it.

*setting up the Conversion API is VERY important. With the changes that iOS 14, your pixel has a chance to miss out on important data. With the CAPI, the events are fired on the server side of your website. You still need to install the pixel code on your website. Events from both WILL be deduplicated.*

3. Third, go back to the pixel settings under data sources in your business manager. Select your pixel, and then click "Aggregated Event Measurement." Then click "Configure Web Events." Select your website and click "Manage Events." Now you'll have a screen that either has no events, or has some events ranked from highest priority to lowest. Depending on your website and what your ultimate goal is for users, you need to select which one is most important. For example, if you sell things on your website, the conversion event will need to be at the top of the priority list, since that is the number one action you want users to do. Then you will list the other events on your website in order of importance. If you don't know much about ecommerce or funnels, this section might be a little hard for you to complete. FINALLY click submit.

Next, what I would do is go back to your pixel and open the event setup tool and double check that all your buttons and links are firing for the events that you want. Again, this might be hard if you're not aware of ecommerce and such. To help you, make sure that "Track events automatically without code" is turned ON. As events happen on your website, this will help to automatically generate those events without having to manually set it up. Again, you are still going to want to keep an eye on it and make sure those events are correct and nothing is missing.

As for the maximum of 8 events, it is referring to the fact that you can only have 8 events. Before, you could have as many different events on your website that you could make up (in theory). Now FB will only keep track of the highest priority event that happens on your website. For instance, if a customer completes check out and purchases an item from your store, they will no longer track them as an "add to cart" event, only the "conversion" event.

This can definitely be super complicated if you've never done it before, and it's best to ask for help instead of trying to go it alone and potentially screw up your ads! If you have any other questions, feel free to reply here and I'll try my best to answer them! Happy Socialing!

David Dennison

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website