Current Best Practice for AdWords keyword/ad group flow to HubSpot and Salesforce

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What is current best practice for capturing the google search term from Adwords, and having that flow all the way through HubSpot to a Salesforce lead record?

I want to ultimately do opportunity reporting in Salesforce that includes the Google search term and ad group. (Requires propogating the data further, to the contact, oppty record.)

In the past, this has involved tagging destination URLs, either manually, or automatically, and then creating fields in HubSpot/Marketo, and matching fields in Salesforce, for keyword, AdGroup, Campaign, etc.

Yes, we have the HubSpot AdWords connector installed. No, it doesn't provide me what I want.

Reference articles:

https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/6076199?hl=en

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/conversion-tracking

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Community Manager

Hi @dbhoward,

I want to pull in a few users who may have insight into this question. 

@bradmin@SalesforceScott do you have any ideas from the Salesforce side of things? 

Thanks,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

Hi, @dbhoward. I don't understand - when we'd talked about this last week, you'd mentioned you were passing the UTM code to a custom property in HubSpot.

If you can put it in a property in HubSpot, it can be mapped to Salesforce. Build out the custom field on leads (and/or contacts, with the same API name if so) in Salesforce, map that to HubSpot, and optionally resync records. Once the mapping exists, the custom property value from HubSpot appears in Salesforce. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
Regular Contributor

It's all working now...

For HubSpot to receive the parameter, I had to tag my URLs with the internal API name - utm_campaign__c - instead of the field name - utm_campaign - which is odd and not what I'm accustomed to.

And I was able to pass utm_ parm values to both the lead record and contact record in Salesforce, from HubSpot.  (Salesforce had been throwing an error about duplicate field names when I tried to create the utm_ fields on the contact record, but I think that was pilot error.)

So, all is good.

Now, if only Salesforce will properly solve the problem of not being to produce list views that combine both leads and contacts...

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

That last bit is something you won't be able to resolve. Salesforce list views display data from one object, and one object only. You can have a list view for leads, and one for contacts, but not something which combines both. You'd either need a report for that, or set up Salesforce to map lead fields to contact fields on conversion. Unfortunately, there's no list view option which will let you see unconverted leads and converted/manually-created contacts in that same view. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Yes, I know. It's the bane of Salesforce users everywhere...

0 Upvotes