Ads

sbraekke
Participant

Creating UTM-links for ad-accounts

Hi,

I wonder if there could be a feature to the ads connection that either the UTM-links can be created in such a way that Google Analytics will understand them. Either a custom way, or that there is connection between Hubspot and Google Analytics that makes the referrers easier to understand.

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
sbraekke
Participant

I think I found a solution. I just changed my settings for how google analytics view the data.

So hopefully it is now resolved.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @sbraekke,

Could you share a screenshot of what you're referring to?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @sbraekke,

I'd recommend reviewing this official Google help article on setting up utm parameters then – could you specify what makes you think that Google Analytics doesn't "understand" some traffic? How does that manifest itself?

Google Analytics shouldn't read a click on a tracking URL multiple times, that would not be expected behavior.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

sbraekke
Participant

The landingpages that gets displayed includes IDs for the Hubspot account, campaign, group, the ad, keyword, term etc. It is a series of strings of numbers.

When looking at the campaign numbers it all seems okay.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @sbraekke,

This is in fact already a feature, there is a tracking URL builder that guides you through the creation and set utm parameters for you. You can find more information about the tool here: Create tracking URLs

Since this is only available in Professional and Enterprise, you could also use the free Google Analytics Campaign URL Builder. A bit less guidance but essentially the same thing.

@sharonlicari, this could be moved into the discussion section of the community?

Hope this helps, @sbraekke!

Karsten Köhler

sbraekke
Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I've created campaigns with custom UTM just like you described. But it still seems like Google Analytics doesn't understand some of the traffic, or can't name it properly. It seems like Hubspot creates their own parameters. Google Analytics understand the campaign traffic and the sources. But when looking at the landingpages the information is somewhat unclear on what exactly the traffic originated from.

I may not properly describe my issue. I guess my worry is that for instance if Google Analytics reads interactions twice, once as a click on a certain ad, and then again as a Hubspot-click. If that makes sense?

0 Upvotes