Account & Settings

PTomlinson

Restricting user access to contact information

Hi all,

Our company has a multi-person sales team. Each person owns their own contact lists, and they also own companies - so that any new contact at one of 'their' companies is automatically that salesperson's contact.

I want the sales team to be able to search to see if one of their colleagues already owns a company. This is because they may meet someone at an event, or reseach a company online, think they have a new lead, and not realise that company already belongs to somebody else.

However, I don't want them to see contact information related to that company. 

What scares me is that the salesperson could search "Tesco" (for instance) and see all the email addresses associated with that customer.

For context: a salesperson recently left, took the whole database with him, and proceeded to try steal our customers. So the risk is real!

The obvious way to resolve this kind of problem would be for the superadmin to set user permissions; trouble is, 'contacts' and 'companies' are a bundled permission category.

I guess there's no way of unbundling them... But is there a workaround?

Appreciate any suggestions!

Cheers,
Paul.
13 Replies 13
PTomlinson

Sorry SNigam, I don't understand - isn't that the first screenshot you sent me yesterday?

0 Upvotes
SNigam
Key Advisor

Yes you got me similar screenshot I needed from your portal for salesperson user. In which I can see what permissions salesperson have currently for contacts and companies. And yes one more point I want to flag out that many times due to caching the changes were not reflected in HubSpot so I would suggest you confirm this that have you cleared the cache after changing permisions and then test it from the account of salesperson.

0 Upvotes
SNigam
Key Advisor

I am 100% sure in this case that user holds permission to view all contacts can you send me screenshot of salesperson permission for conatct and company.

0 Upvotes
PTomlinson

Unfortunately not due to organisational restrictions - but I have carried out exactly the test you describe, logging in as a salesperson with a limited number of assigned contacts, and searching the contact database. As long as you can see a company, you can find all associated contact information with any contacts stored in HubSpot, whether assigned or not.

0 Upvotes
PTomlinson

I have tested this - they can still see the contact info.

0 Upvotes
SNigam
Key Advisor

Will you allow to test it with me on your portal, you can give me access of your portal as salesperson and you can assign any test contact to me by mentioning my name in that test contact's contact owner property then I will test that will I able to see any other conatct information. In this way I can identify the exact issue. But if you allow then only. 

0 Upvotes
PTomlinson

Seems like there isn't a solution to this one then?

0 Upvotes
SNigam
Key Advisor

See what I suggest you is to create test user having all salesperson permission and then login from that account then you try to search you will only see those contacts which you owned. But yes salesperson wants to confirm that is there any contact is associated with that specific company or not so what he can do is he will open companies and then search here and if company found then click on that and if contact is associated then it will visible in right sidebar. I think you are logged in as super admin so you have full access so in this case you can test the permissions, so you have to logged in from salesperson's account to see the changes.

0 Upvotes
PTomlinson

For further context - this screenshot shows that the person's email address is also visible in the search results.

2021-09-08 08_00_24-Contacts.png

PTomlinson_0-1631084388680.png

SNigam
Key Advisor

This search results is correct because at this time user is not restricted to see his owned contact only once you set the permission that he can view only owned contact then he will be only view those contacts in which his name is present in 'Contact Owner' Property.

0 Upvotes
PTomlinson

Thanks for your helpful reply SNigam. Is it possible for the super admin to set the contact card not to display as default: across all users, or across all contacts?

If the salesperson can simply enable the contact card on each contact, they would overcome this solution.

0 Upvotes
SNigam
Key Advisor

This contact card setting will change for across all users because this is a global setting. Salesperson will unable to enable this contact card setting only if you keep Off the Account access in his permissions like below 

SNigam_0-1631084283189.png

So you just need to keep this OFF always for Salesperson.

Please mark this as a solution if this helps you.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
SNigam
Key Advisor

Hello @PTomlinson ,

I understand if someone will steal your leads then there is nothing more that serious than this. 

I will suggest in your case is to assign 'Owned Only' permission to your sales person for contact object to edit or view both and give them 'Everything' permission for view in company objects so that in this way they can see all companies in HubSpot but they will unable to see the contact information associated with those companies. 

SNigam_0-1631035733497.png

But, in this case also we have one more issue if salesperson opens a company which he didn't own then in that company's right sidebar he will able to see associated contacts but if he tries to click on that he will unable to open that contact because he didn't owned that. 

SNigam_1-1631036180891.png

In above image, contact's phone number and email was visible so for this we can change the contact card setting to display other properties instead of email and cont. no. So this will solve your complete issue. 

If this helps you then please mark it as a solution so other members in community also get benefitted.

Thank you

0 Upvotes