Account & Settings

mikebernardez

Is there a way to restrict the HubSpot user dropdown to only show users of a specific team?

SOLVE

We assign different users for different roles within our records. For deals for example, we have a "Success Manager" HubSpot user dropdown that gets assigned after a certain deal stage is completed. I'd like for the Success Manager dropdown to only show users who happen to be members of our "Account" Team.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

Is there a way to restrict the HubSpot user dropdown to only show users of a specific team?

SOLVE

Not directly, but haven't pushed 'HubSpot user' field types to the bleeding edge yet.

You might try this ... (untested)

- Create your custom Dropdown select property with just your Account Team -- e.g., 'Account Team Users'. Field type = DROPDOWN SELECT
It's hugely important that the internal values precisely match your 'HubSpot user' internal values -- i.e., owner IDs shown in any HubSpot user field type.

- see image

HubSpot User Field Type Internal ValuesHubSpot User Field Type Internal Values

- Build an active list that includes contacts with any updates to 'Account Team Users' property within the last 1 day. (important)

[You'll see why in the next step]

- Build a workflow using that list as the enrollment trigger AND the re-enrollment trigger.
-- Workflow Action to copy the current custom 'Account Team User' to the Contact.Owner property. This action basically should reassign ownership based on your (non-HubSpot User type) dropdown.

Clunky. Yeah, we know. But hey, in a large portal with tons of HubSpot users, it makes our dropdown much more tidy without the need to code a workaround .

If this doesn't work, feel free to just chalk it up as 'Friday nite crazy talk'! 😉

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Jonno_Price, I hope that you are well!

Got it, I completely understand. I thought that you were looking for a workaround.

I'd like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedback! This means a lot to us.
I have shared it internally to bring more visibility to it.

For new feature suggestions, I'd recommend first to search and check if this idea is already present on our Ideas Forum here. If you find a similar idea, give it an upvote and share your unique use case in the comments.

If the idea doesn't exist already, please consider posting and creating a new Idea on our Ideas Forum here.

Thank you for being part of the discussion!

Have a nice day!

Best,
Bérangère

Saviez-vous que la Communauté est disponible en Français ?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings!

0 Upvotes
BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @Jonno_Price,

Thank you for asking the Community and sorry for the delay in the response.

I tried to reproduce and when I create a "HubSpot user" type of property, the "show in forms" option is not selected by default and I cannot edit it.

However, if you create a custom "dropdown select" type of property, then you'll be able to edit the "show in forms" option.

Hi @MFrankJohnson is that how you proceeded, please?

Thanks a lot and have a great day!

Best,
Bérangère

Saviez-vous que la Communauté est disponible en Français ?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings!

0 Upvotes
Jonno_Price
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Thanks Bérangère,

But unfortunately that doesn't resolve the issue in this case. We need a HubSpot User property and not a custom dropdown select property. Currently if you create a HubSpot User Property, you cannot select which users to include. It defaults to every user in the portal, including external users like us partners. 

The HubSpot User property type is useful because it allows for record rotation in workflows. 

The goal is for the client to not have to maintain a custom drop down property of users - instead you could create a HubSpot user property that only shows and includes members of a HubSpot team. 

Hopefully that all makes sense and either way I think it is a great idea to add to roadmap 🙂

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.
Platinum Hubspot Solutions Partner

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Not directly, but haven't pushed 'HubSpot user' field types to the bleeding edge yet.

You might try this ... (untested)

- Create your custom Dropdown select property with just your Account Team -- e.g., 'Account Team Users'. Field type = DROPDOWN SELECT
It's hugely important that the internal values precisely match your 'HubSpot user' internal values -- i.e., owner IDs shown in any HubSpot user field type.

- see image

HubSpot User Field Type Internal ValuesHubSpot User Field Type Internal Values

- Build an active list that includes contacts with any updates to 'Account Team Users' property within the last 1 day. (important)

[You'll see why in the next step]

- Build a workflow using that list as the enrollment trigger AND the re-enrollment trigger.
-- Workflow Action to copy the current custom 'Account Team User' to the Contact.Owner property. This action basically should reassign ownership based on your (non-HubSpot User type) dropdown.

Clunky. Yeah, we know. But hey, in a large portal with tons of HubSpot users, it makes our dropdown much more tidy without the need to code a workaround .

If this doesn't work, feel free to just chalk it up as 'Friday nite crazy talk'! 😉

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

UPDATE - TESTED | CONFIRMED 100% FUNCTIONAL

Warning: If this functionality is used in a workflow to change object owners, consider turning OFF both the 'SHOW IN FORMS' toggle AND the 'Show in forms' checkbox to prevent accidental access/triggering from forms, bots, etc..
- see image

hubspot-user-field-type-disable-forms.png

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Jonno_Price
Guide | Platinum Partner
Guide | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Hey Frank - I was just trying to achieve this exact task - e.g. limit the drop down options in a HubSpot user field. For example a client wants a custom Client Services Manager user property that only lists members of the Client Services team. We would like this to be a HubSpot user property vs a custom drop down.. 

However, I am not able to deselect the "show in forms" option. This is not editable for me. Any ideas?

Jonno Price
Growth London Ltd.
Platinum Hubspot Solutions Partner

Did my post help answer your query? Please help the community by marking it as a solution.

mikebernardez

SOLVE

Thanks so much Frank!