Account & Settings

JonDFreeman
Participant

I have users in Japan that want to enter some info in Kanji

SOLVE

For instance, they want to enter first name, last name and company in Kanji characters.

Has anyone encountered this request and what did you do?

Jon

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JonDFreeman,

Japanese is a HubSpot supported language. I'm managing a couple of portals with contacts and companies entered with Japanese characters, I haven't experienced any issues there beyond the fact that I'm not able to read it. (If I'm missing something fundamental here because of the different types of characters in Japanese, please let me know.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
DChepenko

SOLVE

Hey  @JonDFreeman,
Have you found a workaround? I also hoped to see some additional properties for Kanji and Furigana at the Name object. 

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JonDFreeman,

Japanese is a HubSpot supported language. I'm managing a couple of portals with contacts and companies entered with Japanese characters, I haven't experienced any issues there beyond the fact that I'm not able to read it. (If I'm missing something fundamental here because of the different types of characters in Japanese, please let me know.)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

JEder

SOLVE

Not sure why this was "accepted solution"... so in Japanese, we really need 3 names fields a piece for first, last, and company name.  Here is why -- some people in our company don't read any Japanese (like the CEO and COO), so they need roman chracters for the names.  For those who do read Japanese, we still need a field for the Kanji (so we use the correct characters in correspondance, and we need the furigana (usually we put this in hiragana, but some companies choose katakana), because names are the worst at having ateji (or special pronunciations that aren't necessarily in dictionaries).  So, when I hear a clients name over the phone, I use hiragana, until I get their business card or see the way they sign a reply to be safe.  It's rude here to just guess at a person's Kanji and reply with this.

So, my Contact would ideally be able to store:

June Tanaka

田中・ジュン (note, the name is reveresed in Japanese -- last name first, and this contact has a western first name, so we use Katakana alongside the Kanji here.

たなか・じゅん  (Here is the phoetic alphabet, so everyone knows how to pronounce their name correctly.  Tanaka is an obvious one, but there are lots of not-so-easy exceptions to worry about.)

I'm speaking to our Hubspot admin to see if we can add custom fields for these.  If others have found other ways to solve this, then please share.

0 Upvotes
DChepenko

SOLVE

+1 to that. 
The accepted solution misses the critical point of how the contacts are stored in Japanese systems. 
Our JP GTM team struggles a lot with that. 

0 Upvotes