Account & Settings

ychartsnick

How to clear Associated Companies

SOLVE

Hi there Community!  We have just completed a large upload of contacts and unfortunately many of them ended up automatically associating with the wrong company.  In subsequent attempts to fix our upload, we can't seem to unassociated the records and get them attached to the correct company enmass.  We have hundreds of thousands of leads so going one by one isn't an option.  We've tried clearing out email domain, website url, etc and reuploading with new proper data, but nothing seems to work.  Any ideas?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ychartsnick,

That's what I would expect to happen, yes. Big disclaimer: I haven't seen your portal from the inside, there might be other factors I'm not aware of.

I'd highly recommend to back up the records that you're planning on deleting (= exporting them).

You can also set up a HubSpot developer portal and test this behavior before unleashing it onto your database: https://developers.hubspot.com/get-started

Last but not least, if you have any automation set up (especially workflows), make sure that there aren't any company based workflows or contact-based workflows that enroll contacts based on a company property.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ychartsnick,

That's what I would expect to happen, yes. Big disclaimer: I haven't seen your portal from the inside, there might be other factors I'm not aware of.

I'd highly recommend to back up the records that you're planning on deleting (= exporting them).

You can also set up a HubSpot developer portal and test this behavior before unleashing it onto your database: https://developers.hubspot.com/get-started

Last but not least, if you have any automation set up (especially workflows), make sure that there aren't any company based workflows or contact-based workflows that enroll contacts based on a company property.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ychartsnick,

This information is not stored in a field. Once the association is established, it can't be changed by upload or bulk edit, unfortunately, only manually. The only way to remove the association by bulk would be to delete the records (at least the records of one of the associated objects).

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
KJones50
Participant

SOLVE

So, how do I manually edit even 1 associated company with a Deal.  I can't find any way to edit it. 

0 Upvotes
KJones50
Participant

SOLVE

I figured it out. NVM.

0 Upvotes
ychartsnick

SOLVE

Ok, so if I deleted the company record (while having associated company connection turned off) that would clear the "associated company" on all contacts.  If I then flip on the "automatically Associated Company" setting it should then create companies based on email domain correct?  Really appreciate your input, this is a complicated piece of functionality.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @ychartsnick,

HubSpot itself doesn't have any features to clear assocations in bulk, unfortunately.

Incycle, a data management app, could be an option for you. I haven't used it myself but it could be worth exploring since it seems to include association features. (Whether it also has disassociation features I don't know.)

Before making any changes, make sure that you disable automatic association of contacts/companies.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

ychartsnick

SOLVE

Thanks for the reply Karsten.  I am curious if there is a way to upload the information again that will change the associated company for a contact.  We've tried clearing fields and re-uploading data but nothing seems to change the associated company once its been set.  Any thoughts on what field is the driver there?

0 Upvotes