Account & Settings

nwi
Contributor

Help! Close date is always 1 day earlier, for other user.

SOLVE

This is an issue I've had for a long time with the same user. The close date always shows as 1 day prior for her.

• She is located in Idaho. I am in Indiana.
  • We both see the same time zone when checking Settings>Account Defaults.
  • I recently made her a new user account and it's still an issue.
  • When I log in as her the close dates are correct.
  • When she logs in as me the dates are wrong.
  • So far, tasks are on the correct date.
  • I also believe the close dates are fine for others except her.

A few things I'd like to test:

• have her log in with a different computer (I believe we tried that ages ago and it was still incorrect).
  • I might also have someone else login as me in Idaho and see what happens.

This is an urgent problem as she needs to be able to filter with the correct info. Does anyone have advice for how to fix this? I'm thinking it must be something to do with being in another state.....? We'll know more once I test my account in Idaho..

This seems so strange to me.

Thanks!

2 Accepted solutions
nwi
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

OK!! I can confirm the problem:

In choosing "See History" for the close date, I DO see a time even though we never choose the time. By default it sets it to 12am EDT. 

The only close dates that are off are the deals that were created BY my admin in Idaho. Those "close dates" were set to 3 AM *EDT* which means (since she's 3 hrs behind the company) it's listed as the day before at midnight.

How can I REMOVE a time stamp from the "close date"???

There is no time stamp on my own created date properties, just the default "close date" property. Worst case scenario I can create my own "close date" property and copy the dates over but I really need a simpler solution.

Yay! There's a reason for this craziness.

View solution in original post

nwi
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @NBW,

Unfortunately, the only way we were able to fix and prevent this from happening was to create a new property (we named it "Event Date") and manually transfered the date to our own property for every single deal and most contacts, then stopped using the system property "Close Date". I don't know if this would affect any other flows for you but it has worked for what we need.

The problem we had found:
The "Close Date" property puts a time stamp behind the scenes, on the dates. So all the "Close Dates" which were entered by my assistant in Idaho showed up as a day earlier for all of us because it adjusted to the company time zone, 3 hours earlier. However, the manually created properties with date values don't have a time stamp in the back-end. So the date always remains the same.

I was only able to find the time stamp on Close Dates by choosing "view history" for Close Date within the deal/contact. Most of them, it seems the default time goes to 12:00 AM. So my assistant 3 hours behind me would mark a date, and apparently since it was automatically set to 12 AM her time, it would adjust for the company's time zone, to 3 hours prior - the previous day!

From what I learned, there is no way to change the time set for the Close Date, or to turn if off, so our only option was creating a whole new property. Then, of course, we had to adjust every filter as well, to account for the new property versus close date.

I hope this answers your question. It's not ideal and if Hubspot doesn't take off this time stamp it would cause major problems for companies like you and me who have multiple time zones and don't realize this issue.

Hubspot, if timestamps are required for Close Dates, please at least make the times be visible (not just in the history) and editable.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Removed

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
nwi
Contributor

SOLVE

Happy 4th to you too!

Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I tried it, but unfortunately, that setting changes it for the entire account and all users rather than just the one user, and didn't change the time issue.

We reverted back to Eastern Time and then did some more comparing:

• Tasks are actually inconsistent unlike what I thought earlier. See screenshot. This is a task which I (owner) created. "Email reminder" date is correct, the times seem to have adjusted to her computer's time zone, which is ok but not preferred. However, the "due date" for her is wrong and has added a time. 9 pm for her would be 12 am for me the next day so that makes sense, but I didn't add a time and can't figure out how to change it.
  • SOME deal "close dates" are correct while others are not. However, ALL my "deposit due" dates and "final payment due" dates are correct for her. I never even add a time to the close dates and don't have the option to do so. I don't see any difference in the way I made the incorrect deals vs the correct deals. Is there a setting in the back end to make all close dates be at noon so there is less change of time zone affecting the date?
  • I had another person in Idaho log in with their laptop - they had the same view as my Admin in Idaho... so it must be timezone related but I don't know how to correct it.

My Task ViewMy Task ViewMy Admin's view of same taskMy Admin's view of same taskMy view of dealsMy view of dealsMy Admin's view of same dealsMy Admin's view of same deals

Feedback for Hubspot:

1. If I mark that I want a task alert to be at 8am, then I want it to be at 8am for my other users in their time zone, not at 5am... 
  2. If I mark a close date at a certain date, the date needs to be locked in and not be affected by time zones!

I'm so confused hah!

I REALLY appreciate anyone giving insight on this.

MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Removed

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
nwi
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm surprised there is not a way to at least change the time stamp for the close date. So many companies work with staff in different time zones meaning their dates will be wrong across the board.

This means I will have to create my own new "close date" property (I'll call it "Event Date") since it seems that only my own custom properties don't add the timestamp in the background. This also means resetting all of my filters to sort by Event Date.

I searched around and can't find an easy way to bulk copy info from one property to another. Any advice, rather than going through over 100 deals and almost 600 contacts one by one?

I tried exporting my data, edited it in a spreadsheet (copy everything from the "Close date" column over to my "Event Date" column and then import back into HubSpot but expectedly so I lost a lot of info such as my notes/tasks/linked emails/associated contacts etc..

I see one of the deals I created has the time of 2:44 pm (EDT) for the close date, instead of the usual 12:00 AM. I don't see the method for what time HubSpot chooses by default. Is there any way to ask HubSpot to at least allow us to edit the time that is entered for the close date, as a separate property? That way I could bulk edit the close date time to say 12 PM and hopefully never have the time zone issue again.

Thanks for walking me through this.

NBW

SOLVE

Hi - was this ever resolved effectly? We have just downloaded a large number of deals, cleaned them up, then reimported, and every single deal has 1 day removed from the deal close date. 

I am in the US, and we have 5 different time zones around the globe that people who use hubspot work to. The system is set to Sydney - Australia so I even tried changing my cpmuter to that timezone but this doesn't work.

This is terrible if hubspot have no workaround to these. We would basically need to go in and manually update every single deal close date field. We use this in BI reporting, so I have single handedly added a lot of revenue to our revenue line today and need to fix this immediately.

nwi
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @NBW,

Unfortunately, the only way we were able to fix and prevent this from happening was to create a new property (we named it "Event Date") and manually transfered the date to our own property for every single deal and most contacts, then stopped using the system property "Close Date". I don't know if this would affect any other flows for you but it has worked for what we need.

The problem we had found:
The "Close Date" property puts a time stamp behind the scenes, on the dates. So all the "Close Dates" which were entered by my assistant in Idaho showed up as a day earlier for all of us because it adjusted to the company time zone, 3 hours earlier. However, the manually created properties with date values don't have a time stamp in the back-end. So the date always remains the same.

I was only able to find the time stamp on Close Dates by choosing "view history" for Close Date within the deal/contact. Most of them, it seems the default time goes to 12:00 AM. So my assistant 3 hours behind me would mark a date, and apparently since it was automatically set to 12 AM her time, it would adjust for the company's time zone, to 3 hours prior - the previous day!

From what I learned, there is no way to change the time set for the Close Date, or to turn if off, so our only option was creating a whole new property. Then, of course, we had to adjust every filter as well, to account for the new property versus close date.

I hope this answers your question. It's not ideal and if Hubspot doesn't take off this time stamp it would cause major problems for companies like you and me who have multiple time zones and don't realize this issue.

Hubspot, if timestamps are required for Close Dates, please at least make the times be visible (not just in the history) and editable.

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @nwi,

I found this idea in our ideas forum regarding close dates and times for deals. I would recommend upvoting it and commenting on it with your use case so that this change can be made in the future.

Thank you for sharing your findings, as well!

0 Upvotes
NBW

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda. Thank you for posting, but these are not related.

0 Upvotes
nwi
Solution
Contributor

SOLVE

OK!! I can confirm the problem:

In choosing "See History" for the close date, I DO see a time even though we never choose the time. By default it sets it to 12am EDT. 

The only close dates that are off are the deals that were created BY my admin in Idaho. Those "close dates" were set to 3 AM *EDT* which means (since she's 3 hrs behind the company) it's listed as the day before at midnight.

How can I REMOVE a time stamp from the "close date"???

There is no time stamp on my own created date properties, just the default "close date" property. Worst case scenario I can create my own "close date" property and copy the dates over but I really need a simpler solution.

Yay! There's a reason for this craziness.

JoeBurchard
Top Contributor | Elite Partner
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Are there any updates to this outside of the accepted solution workaround? I am running into a similar issue with a team in the Philippines and the instance being on Pacific Time

0 Upvotes
nwi
Contributor

SOLVE

Sorry I have not looked further into it since creating my own new property since it is working for me.

If there is a way to turn off the option of there being a time stamp when users set the close dates I think everything would be solved. That would be my only idea right now outside of the workaround.

If you find a solution please share.

0 Upvotes