Account & Settings

SBenson2

Getting open notifications from myself

SOLVE

Hi,

I am using Outlook online (in Chrome) and have used Hubspot for months without any problems with getting open notifications from myself.  Recently, though, when I look at my sent emails that I am tracking in Hubspot, Hubspot pops up a message saying that someone opened that email.

I made sure that I have the latest version of Chrome.  I've also removed and re-added the chrome Hubspot extension, there don't appear to be any other extensions that may conflict with the Hubspot extension and  I've cleared my cache.

I don't think this matters, but I've also added my IP address to the list of blocked IPs.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Thanks,

Sean

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SBenson2,

These self-open notifications can be blocked but only if you're using the Outlook desktop add-in or the Chrome extension. If you're checking your emails in Outlook web, this is unfortunately not possible.

You can read more about this here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/block-self-open-notifications-with-the-hubspot-sales-ou...

The fact that you're receiving notifications all of a sudden could be due to Outlook web checking or pre-loading emails in the background, making it seem like the email was opened when the tracking pixel is loaded during this activity.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

SBenson2
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

That is very strange.  I've been using Outlook web with Hubspot tracking for many months and have not seen this behavior.  I even tested it a number of times over the past many months and it worked correctly.  I recall that I was able to make it work initially by putting my IP address in the "Blocked IP Address" section of Hubspot.

Anyway, I can't get it to work anymore with Outlook web, but I can just use Outlook desktop as a workaround.  I just tested that and it works correctly, so thanks for the tip!

Sean

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
SBenson2
Solution

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

That is very strange.  I've been using Outlook web with Hubspot tracking for many months and have not seen this behavior.  I even tested it a number of times over the past many months and it worked correctly.  I recall that I was able to make it work initially by putting my IP address in the "Blocked IP Address" section of Hubspot.

Anyway, I can't get it to work anymore with Outlook web, but I can just use Outlook desktop as a workaround.  I just tested that and it works correctly, so thanks for the tip!

Sean

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SBenson2,

These self-open notifications can be blocked but only if you're using the Outlook desktop add-in or the Chrome extension. If you're checking your emails in Outlook web, this is unfortunately not possible.

You can read more about this here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/email-tracking/block-self-open-notifications-with-the-hubspot-sales-ou...

The fact that you're receiving notifications all of a sudden could be due to Outlook web checking or pre-loading emails in the background, making it seem like the email was opened when the tracking pixel is loaded during this activity.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.