Account & Settings

JonWhiten

Forwarded Emails to Team Inbox Bouncing

SInce yesterday I have been receiving bounced email messages for most, if not all, emails forwarded from our Microsoft365 Shared Mailbox to Hubspot's Team Inbox.  The error I get is:

550 5.7.23 The message was rejected because of Sender Policy Framework violation -> 550 Email rejected per DMARC policy R6V85qWh3W1v1m1w8QwgdZ0 - hssmtp

AM0PR01MB3697.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com

mx.hubapi.com

This is HubSpot's email server rejecting the forwarded email from us.

Has anyone got a clue how to reslove this?

Thanks,

Jon

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @JonWhiten,

Based on the information provided, looks like this is related to your company's DMARC policy requiring an update ( More information here
The bounce reason lists the sender DMARC policy as the reason for rejection.
Your SPF/DKIM would require to be up to date, to fix this please reach out to your IT team and inform them that the emails are bouncing due to DMARC policy.

Kindly,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
JonWhiten

It is not as simple as that - these are messages autoforwarded to HubSpot from our shared mailbox (as per Hubspot instructions) by our Office365 subscription.

1. you are right that "The bounce reason lists the sender DMARC policy as the reason for rejection."

2. you are wrong when you state "this is related to your company's DMARC policy requiring an update" 

3 My SPF/DKIM policy is not an issue in this case.

What is happening, as far as I can see, is that HubPot has started to look at the SPF/DKIM of the original sender (not us but the sender into our Office365 shared mailbox), sees that it is being forwarded by our Office365 subscription and then bouncing it.  HubSopt should not be bouncing messages due to this, it would seem that HubSpot's filters are at fault and not either our (irelevant) SPF/DKIM nor that of the original sender.

How do we engahe with HubSpot to get this policy, introduced within the last few days, reversed?

Jon

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @JonWhiten,

Thank you for the update, I spoke with the team and all incoming conversation emails are checked against "dmarc " for the from address sending the email. "dmarc" can break when an email is forwarded. 

This article here walks through some common ways that dmarc can break when an email is forwarded, with that information your IT team will be able to troubleshoot how to fix from the article.

I hope this information helps.

Kindly,

Pam

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @JonWhiten 

Thank you very much for the information provided, I'm currently working with my team investigating more about this, and will update here once I have more details.

Thank you,

Pam

0 Upvotes