Account & Settings

rocketman

Email integration Office 365 fails at last step

SOLVE

I have seem similar posts but no viable solutions offered.  When I try to link my office 365 inbox (in settings => email integrations) It seems to work but then I get a bounce message in my inbox with the following:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

6145016@bcc.hubspot.com
Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: SYBPR01MB4746.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com

6145016@bcc.hubspot.com
Remote Server returned '550 5.7.708 Service unavailable. Access denied, traffic not accepted from this IP. For more information please go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=526653 AS(8561) [SYBPR01MB3706.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com]'

I note that microsoft link does not contain that error code and is not much help.

Other sources suggest allowlisting hubspot mail server ips in office 365 exchange admin => protection => connection filter.  I emailed hubspot for ip ranges and allowlisted them but the issue persists.

I also ran a trace in office 365 and the message was originating from an ip not in the range hubspot provided but allowlisting that ip didn't help either.

I think the key bit of information is "Access denied, traffic not accepted from this IP."   Is there another setting in office 365 I am not aware of or is this an issue at Hubspot's end?  What does "the recipient's email provider rejected it" actually mean?

1 Accepted solution
rocketman
Solution

SOLVE

So this (email integration with office 365) randomally started working today, we haven't done anything further on our end for weeks, had just accepted it wasn't going to work.  So thanks Hubspot and/or Microsoft for sorting it.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
18 Replies 18
EkimeriksonCS
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @rocketman - top of the day to you!
Did you ever get a resolution to this?  I'm trying to get HS/O365 setup and am having the exact issue.  MS says it is HS and visa-versa.  The fact of the matter is I can send emails from O365 and use the HS integration to track emails, but cannot send from HS.  If HS truely sends form O365 than this should be a non-issue I would think?  So the issue is where HS sends...  Maybe I'm wrong as I'm am a layman here.

Thanks for any help/resolution you can provide! 

0 Upvotes
FabLab4D

SOLVE

Same issue here, when using free Hubspot version along with Office 365.  I read many user testimonials and the conclusion is pretty clear:  I need to get the SPF record from HubSpot team. Then I can add it to my domain DNS and it should work.  Question to HubSpot team is:  do you accept to share that information (it is not visible anywhere in the HubSpot app)  ?   If you don't,  please explain why...

ccrigger

SOLVE

Same here

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi all,

While SPF records can help improve deliverability in some cases, they are used to designate which mail servers can deliver email on behalf of a domain. For HubSpot users using O365 as their email provider, the mail servers sending emails will be O365 servers. With a connected inbox, emails you send from the CRM will be sent using your email server IP address. We do not provide SPF records for connected inboxes because of that.

We recommend contacting Microsoft Support to resolve this issue. Microsoft’s explanation for the error is:

5.7.708 Access denied, traffic not accepted from this IP: This error occurs when sending email from known, low reputation IP addresses that are typically used by new customers.

They first recommend connecting with an email administrator, but if that was already done then their next step is:

If you must send email from these low reputation IP addresses before you can purchase licenses, contact support to request an exception until you're able to purchase licenses.

If you already have purchased a license, we still recommend contacting Microsoft Support as they are the ones who can lift this restriction. HubSpot cannot lift the restriction. 

For more information regarding this matter, I wanted to share this Microsoft resource

Thank you,

Jenny

rocketman

SOLVE

@FabLab4D , @ccrigger ,

I had dozens of emails with Microsoft suppport, we ran message traces, tried spf and lots of other stuff.  In the end they said it was a bug with Hubspot.  I have seen many other users with the same issue on this form and others, and no one has posted a solution.  So if you have more luck please post the solution here - we have pretty much given up on it.

0 Upvotes
rocketman
Solution

SOLVE

So this (email integration with office 365) randomally started working today, we haven't done anything further on our end for weeks, had just accepted it wasn't going to work.  So thanks Hubspot and/or Microsoft for sorting it.

0 Upvotes
EkimeriksonCS
Participant

SOLVE

Sorry for the previous reply...  Just saw this.... Thanks! 😉 

0 Upvotes
pm1
Participant

SOLVE

Solution to this exact same problem here was to raise a support request with Office 365, following which the agent ran some diagnostics and identified a problem related to the O365/Exchange tenant being new (~1 day old) and was able to tweak something that then enabled the emails to be sent successfully.

forvaldi

SOLVE

Hello, I have the same issue. I cannot find the solution anywhere.

Do you know the exact fix?

No-one has a step 1 step 2 etc to solve the issue...

0 Upvotes
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @forvaldi  

Will be glad to help, could you please provide us more details in what errors are you experiencing in your end?

Is the email you are trying to connect the same as the one associated with your Community User?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @rocketman,

The article from Microsoft will be the best in terms of finding actionable next steps, as this error message is being generated by Microsoft.

Do you mind sharing more around how you are sending these emails (through your inbox or through HubSpot), whether this error is occuring for all emails, and if you're receiving it for other recipients?

Additionally, is the email address you are sending from connected as an inbox within HubSpot? As outlined in this article:

Your email must meet the following criteria in order to be logged in the CRM:

The more information, screenshots and details you can provide, the better the Community can assist. 

Thank you,
Jenny

rocketman

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda ,

The article from microsoft dosen't seem to specifically cover that error code and didn't get me far.

To clarify, this issue occours immediatly after I connect my inbox as you describe, the test email bounces and so even though the inbox shows as connected it dosen't seem to work, see screenshot.Capture.JPG

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @rocketman,

I have done some research on my end, and because this error message is coming from Microsoft, reaching out to them for best next steps on how to resolve this issue and have HubSpot traffic accepted will be necessary.

For additional context, when a user sends an email from HubSpot, HubSpot then submits that email to the user's mail server. The mail server will tell us, "OK, I accept this email," and because it told us "OK," HubSpot assumes that the mail will be sent out, so we show SENT on the timeline.

However, for users impacted by this issue, you will see the email you tried to send from HS come back as "Undeliverable:" with an error message of "550 5.7.708 Service unavailable. Access denied, traffic not accepted from this IP." There should be two emails in the user's inbox - the non-delivery report, (NDR - also known as the bounceback message) and the email that the user attempted to send from HubSpot originally.

What's happening here is that the mail server is allowing HubSpot to submit the email, and prepares to send it - but then, the mail server fails the email due to "550 5.7.708 Service unavailable. Access denied, traffic not accepted from this IP." In other words, the server is saying, "Because this email was relayed to me from an unknown IP (HubSpot) I won't send it out." This happens because whomever administers the user's email account has placed strict security requirements upon who can send email out of the server. Since we are receiving the 550 5.7.708 error, we know that HubSpot mail will not be relayed by the server unless those security settings are lifted, or if HubSpot IPs are allowed to relay mail.

To resolve this issue, action must be taken by the IT administrators utilizing this kind of security. They need to go into the email that failed to send, (found in the "sent" folder, not the "draft" folder) and look at the header field x-microsoft-antispam-message-info. They'll be able to decipher the encrypted message there and action based upon that to resolve. Here is a Microsoft resource on reading anti-spam message header fields. This doc will not elaborate how to resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes
rocketman

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda ,

Thanks for looking into it.  I have logged a request for micosoft to look into it from there end.

I note that while yes I do see the original message in sent items, the headers are blank.  It appears (at least according to this article: https://www.technipages.com/outlook-view-message-headers) that it is not possible to view headers for sent items in Office 365.

I will wait and see what Microsoft says. 

rocketman

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda 

Microsoft have advised that in order for office 365 to accept email from hubspot I need to add a spf record to my domain, and that I should contact hubspot for the sfp details.

Can you provide the needed spf record?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @rocketman,

HubSpot only offers spf records for marketing emails. For more information, I wanted to share this thread.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
rocketman

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda ,

I have had many emails back and forth with Microsoft support on this issue.  They are adamant the issue is at HubSpot’s end and nothing to do with allowlisting etc.  I am inclined to agree with them given everything we have tried, but either way HubSpot claims to offer office 365 integration by clicking a button, and although it claims to succeed it does not in fact work. 

There are many examples on this forum and others of people with the same issue as me.  In all the cases I have found the issue seems to remain unresolved, with no one having said they have found a solution to get office 365 integration to work.  I am not claiming it does not work for everyone, but clearly not for a significant number of people.

Perhaps you could elevate this issue to the status of a bug, and your people could talk to the Office 365 people to try to sort this for us and all the others who have had this issue?  Otherwise I am just playing middleman between HubSpot and Office 365 support teams, and my expertise in this area is limited.

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @rocketman,

Thanks for reaching out with the additional information!

I have been partnering with the team regarding this matter to ensure I have all of the information available for you to assist going forward.

HubSpot is a remote client that submits email to your O365 mailbox, but HubSpot does not sent the email. O365 is the host that sends the email, which is why we do not have an SPF setup to offer for connected inboxes. 

This is a bounce back message received from Microsoft, and as it does not reference HubSpot as an asset, we have no indication that this is an issue on HubSpot's end. The team has investigated this matter fully with the information we have available, and they are not finding anything that would cause this issue from HubSpot's side of things, as the email is being sent from O365.

I understand this has been a frustrating and time consuming issue for you, and I appreciate your thoroughness in working with Microsoft regarding the issue. If Microsoft is unable to provide additional next steps with this information, I would recommend connecting a different email address to ensure you can begin using HubSpot's functionalities. 

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Upvotes