Account & Settings

kwelch

Editing the Industry field

SOLVE

Wondering of your able to edit the Industry under companies to better?

Many listed aren't needed / used for my company..

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Found this post (by accident) while searching for an old post on the Company.Industry topic. Thought I'd add a couple comments -- hopefully helpful.

-- Added a downloadable list of Company.Industry options to this thread recently.
-- The above thread also includes information (and a warning) about customizing both the CONTACT.Industry AND COMPANY.Industry properties -- very different animals.

++

Here are a couple use cases that might help explain the value of HubSpot's original design for two (2) distinctly different Industry properties -- i.e., one for Contact (totally customizable) and one for Company (partially customizable).

-a- The Contact.Industry property -- Singleline Text (by default) -- allows much more granular industry identification.

Example:
Company.Industry might be Internet
Contact.Industry might be Computer Software, Computer Hardware, Computer Networking, Computer & Network Security

In this case, the Company.Industry (Internet) gives us little detail about the Contact.Industry which in all cases shown above is very different.

-b- The contact works for a company whose industry can be considered separate/different from theirs.

Example:
Company.Industry might be Industrial Automation
Contact.Industry might be Staffing and Recruiting

We see lots of this now days as companies increasingly use more specialized external staffing and recruiting services.

While one may argue that the higher level industry should take presidence, we've found that categorizing HubSpot contacts into the same industry as their company doesn't always provide the best segmentation opportunities.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Found this post (by accident) while searching for an old post on the Company.Industry topic. Thought I'd add a couple comments -- hopefully helpful.

-- Added a downloadable list of Company.Industry options to this thread recently.
-- The above thread also includes information (and a warning) about customizing both the CONTACT.Industry AND COMPANY.Industry properties -- very different animals.

++

Here are a couple use cases that might help explain the value of HubSpot's original design for two (2) distinctly different Industry properties -- i.e., one for Contact (totally customizable) and one for Company (partially customizable).

-a- The Contact.Industry property -- Singleline Text (by default) -- allows much more granular industry identification.

Example:
Company.Industry might be Internet
Contact.Industry might be Computer Software, Computer Hardware, Computer Networking, Computer & Network Security

In this case, the Company.Industry (Internet) gives us little detail about the Contact.Industry which in all cases shown above is very different.

-b- The contact works for a company whose industry can be considered separate/different from theirs.

Example:
Company.Industry might be Industrial Automation
Contact.Industry might be Staffing and Recruiting

We see lots of this now days as companies increasingly use more specialized external staffing and recruiting services.

While one may argue that the higher level industry should take presidence, we've found that categorizing HubSpot contacts into the same industry as their company doesn't always provide the best segmentation opportunities.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
SWDesigns

SOLVE

If you go to the History button next to the industry dropdown tab, then click on the Edit Property tab on the pop up screen you can add new industries. I can't find a way of deleting unnecessary ones however!

AlvaroRodrigues
Contributor

SOLVE

I also can not delete or edit pre-existing items. Is there any way?

Translated by Google Translate

edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @AlvaroRodrigues . This HubSpot Academy resource explains how to create a new property. You can use the same path to edit a property.

Thank you,

Ed Justen

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
AlvaroRodrigues
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi edjusten,

Industry property options are disabled for editing. You can only add new options, but do not edit existing ones.

Translated by Google Translate.

0 Upvotes
edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @AlvaroRodrigues . My apologies. There are actually two Industry properties:

One is linked to the Contact (single line text), while the other is linked to the Company (drop down select). The Contact industry property is fully customizable, while the Company Industry property can only have additional values added.

Thank you,

Ed Justen 

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
ChrisLeonard

SOLVE

1. Why are there two Industry fields, one for contacts and one for companies? I'm confused.

2. Why doesn't the field information in the Company > Properties > Industry field just carry over to the same field for Contacts who are employed by the Company? The developers have given more manual work, which opens risk of error.

(And, why is Industry for company records preloaded with lots of industires while Industry for Contacts isn't?)

IntegriteeCorp

SOLVE

I would also like to know why this is the case. I would like them to sync or have the same information. Is there anyway to do this?

0 Upvotes
MauDk
Participant

SOLVE

Hi,

In the Contacts View I'm interested to see both associated company and industry for each contact.

I added the relevant columns and the Industry one remains empty (in Contacts View), even though it is populated in every Company profile of the company associated.

I found that the Industry can be manually populated (again in Contacts View), but whats the point if the info should be pulled from the Associated Company record???? Besides when populating it it doesn'd display the industry pull down menu....

What's the best practice around this?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
neira
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @edjusten

I'm having the same issue as @deepak23verma. This list is WAY too long/specific for our needs. If entries can't be removed, is it possible to:

1) add new (more general) entries that will trump the default HubSpot ones

2) put the new custom entries at the top of the list so they're easily found?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

AlvaroRodrigues
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi edjusten,

Thanks for the support. The pre-supplied values are not helping me because they are all in the English language. Even when I use the software version in Portuguese, the options are not translated. Therefore, my intention is to change the options for their correspondents in Portuguese. There is still a need to narrow down this list, taking away options that are completely out of focus for my client.

If this is not possible, I will have to wait for a possible upgrade of the product to contemplate this feature.

Translated by Google Translate.

Thanks

edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @AlvaroRodrigues . You present a compelling use case for a change to this property. 

Can you add this as a post to our ideas forum for further comment?

Thank you,

Ed Justen

0 Upvotes
AlvaroRodrigues
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Ed,

I have already opened the request according to this link: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Edit-the-property-industry-under-Companies/idi-p/1750...

Thanks for the support.

deepak23verma
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @edjusten

I am having a similar issue. I would like to add some custom industry types to this list. Given how long the list I don't want my reps to have to go through the list each time to find the appropriate one. Is there a way to have my custom industry types show up at the top of the dropdown list while still keeping the original list as is? It seemed like the list is alphabetically sorted so I started each of my custom industry types with A - ie. A - Energy Retailer, but my custom industry types are still at the bottom of the list.

edjusten
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

HI @kwelch The industry property could be set up a number of ways in your portal. There may be a picklist previously uploaded or synced from Salesforce, or the field may be a single line text field. In either case, you can edit properties in HubSpot by following the instruction in this HubSpot Academy resourse

To do so, however, you will need the correct permissions. Find out more about HubSpot User Permissions here.

Ed