Account & Settings

vadimevelson

Confirming email address is not possible

Hi,

when I click on "Confirm email address" in my mail, the browser shows an error: 

We could not determine which URL you were trying to go to. Please check to make sure your URL is not truncated.

AdBlockers/Firewall are off, tried it on different browsers. 

34 Replies 34
LPRDesigns

The problem is the link in the email to verify the email address is entirely too long to port to a browser.  The url I received to verify the email was 2048 characters long. When the link in the email is clicked, it goes to the browser which truncates the link and causes the problem.  The only workaround I found was to use a gmail account to establish a HubSpot account.   Hope that helps...

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @LPRDesigns 

Thank you for your reply. 

Would you mind sending me a DM with the email address you wanted to verify as well as the HubID? 

Thank you!

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

LPRDesigns

DM Sent

0 Upvotes
austinchambers_

Help! I'm running into this problem as well. I click "Confirm Email Address" and get the following in my browser: 

We could not determine which URL you were trying to go to. Please check to make sure your URL is not truncated.

I tried other browsers. I simply cannot sign up -- nothing works. I had to create a temporary account via google with my personal email to create this message, but that doesn't help -- I still need to use my business email to set up my new org. 

Repro steps are dead simple: 

1. Sign up for new account. 

2. Go to your email, and open the "Please confirm your email address" email. 

3. Click the button in the email (or extract the link and paste into your browser). 

**Expected**: Some sort of confirmation

**Actual**: The same error above appears. No way to create a new account. I'm sure if you check your logs, you'll see that new account creation in this way has been not working for several days. New account creation using google account auth, works though. 

0 Upvotes
austinchambers_

Hi Tiphaine, 

Nope, I'm not using wordpress. I'm creating the account via the Hubspot web UI. That results in an email getting sent to my inbox: 

hubspot1.PNG

When I click the "Confirm Email Address", I get the following: 

hubspot2.PNG

That's it! Nothing I can do will work around that. New browsers or turning off extensions, etc. This always fails. 

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for these screenshots and clarification @austinchambers_ 

I'm going to reach out to the team for that. Could you also DM me the email address that is having this issue/you're trying to create an account for, as well as the HubID? 

Thank you,

Tiphaine

Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

austinchambers_

Now sure about the HubID (don't I need to successfully create the account to get one of these?). Since I can't confirm the account, I don't think I have the HubID. I sent you a DM with the email I was trying to use, though. 

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @austinchambers_ I received that DM. 

@austinchambers_ @vadimevelson @LPRDesigns Thank you for your patience. I have reached out to the team regarding this and thank to your screenshots and details this is what is happening: 

This sounds like you all have a similar Email Protection software that is wrapping the links to run them through a checking service - like mimecast for example. Likely, this tool is not allowing for the full length of the URL these initial confirmation emails can be as a result of the tracking contained within them. 

Depending on if you three can control the length of the URL allowed for wrapping that is one option.
The other possible option here is if you are using a corporate email where this software is implemented, you could initially use a personal email that clicked through on your personal device/network to bypass this functionality (I think that's what you did @austinchambers_ and @LPRDesigns ) Then when the Hub or account is created, you can create a new user to the Hub to receive the Account Invite Email.

Hope that helps.
Have a lovely day,
Tiphaine.

austinchambers_

Ok, that was it. It looks like in Outlook, when you open emails, any links are limited. Given Outlook is a very common email client, I feel it's good practice to ensure your verification links are under 2000 characters long. As long as the people at my company don't need to verify their accounts, then I think we're in good shape. Otherwise, I think this should be fixed. 

For what it's worth, the workaround was: 

1. Open email in Outlook

2. Click the "If there are problems with how this message is displayed" link to view it in a web browser

3. In the browser, inspect the element (I couldn't copy the link to the clipboard for some reason) and copy the long URL to the clipboard. 

4. Paste that URL into your browser, and you'll be taken to the proper account verification page. 

Thanks for your help! 

vadimevelson

I've put my name, mail and clicked on register, thats it.

After that you have to confirm the mail. And that's the problem, because the link in the mail is not working.

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @vadimevelson

Thanks for your reply. 

@austinchambers_ do you also have the issue when creating an account from within WordPress? 

Could any of you send a screenshot of your whole screen with the error message + a screenshot of where in WordPress you're clicking to create a new account? 

Is the issue when creating a HubSpot Account or creating a new user in your HubSpot account? 

Thank you!

Tiphaine

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @vadimevelson 

Thank you for reaching out!

Would you mind sending us a screenshot of this error? Does it happen with all the emails or just one? If you clone the email, do you still have the issue? The more information, screenshots, and details you can provide the better we can assist!

Thank you

Tiphaine

0 Upvotes
vadimevelson

hubspot.jpg

I'm trying to register a new account from within of WordPress and I have to confirm my mail first. After I click the link "Confirm email address" I get this. The issue is still there.

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @vadimevelson 

Would you mind clarifying exactly what steps you're taking in WordPress until you get this error, as well as sending pictures of your whole screen when you see that? It will help us troubleshoot what's going on. You can submit pictures with the little camera button. 

Thank you!

Tiphaine

0 Upvotes