Account & Settings

pete_last

Bulk Assign Deals to Contacts

SOLVE

Hello,

My company has just recently turned on the Deals to Contacts association on, but our historic data does not have this. I would like to be able to click on any contact that is part of a company we have a deal with and to immediately see the associated deal under their contact. I understand that I can import data into HubSpot to make this work, but I am not sure what I would need in my spreadsheet to assign contacts to a deal. Is there a deal ID number, or something else I should use? Thanks so much!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @pete_last,

To associate records in bulk, you need to establish that association during import, correct. You can find sample files (examples) here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/set-up-your-import-file#multiple-objects-with-associations

It's important to understand how deduplication works before you do this. HubSpot deduplicates contacts by email address and contact ID, deals by deal ID. In other words, if you do not include the deal ID in your import file, HubSpot will not be able to check whether this deal exists already.

If your deals are already in HubSpot, you need to export them first. Deal exports include the deal ID. You would then set up your file following the logic of the sample files.

In summary, your import file (if you choose one file with two objects) needs to include two columns: (contact) Email or (contact) Contact ID and Deal ID. Without the deal ID, HubSpot will create duplicate deals if they already exist in your CRM.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @pete_last,

To associate records in bulk, you need to establish that association during import, correct. You can find sample files (examples) here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/set-up-your-import-file#multiple-objects-with-associations

It's important to understand how deduplication works before you do this. HubSpot deduplicates contacts by email address and contact ID, deals by deal ID. In other words, if you do not include the deal ID in your import file, HubSpot will not be able to check whether this deal exists already.

If your deals are already in HubSpot, you need to export them first. Deal exports include the deal ID. You would then set up your file following the logic of the sample files.

In summary, your import file (if you choose one file with two objects) needs to include two columns: (contact) Email or (contact) Contact ID and Deal ID. Without the deal ID, HubSpot will create duplicate deals if they already exist in your CRM.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.