Account & Settings

KirkB
Participant

Add notes during CSV contact upload....seeking advice

SOLVE

With my initial Excel import of about 800 contacts, I have a notes field with info that I want to bring into HubSpot. 

What’s the best way to preserve these notes? Should I create a custom field in properties?  Would I then be able to map my Excel notes to this field when importing?

I would only be using this once, to preserve the history, but then I’d rely on the regular notes feed based on my activity.

Thanks for the assistance as this new guy sets things up.

Kirk

0 Upvotes
3 Accepted solutions
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

This quick video will walk you through it @KirkB.

- see [MFJLabs VIDEO] HubSpot Import Notes (test-1910)

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

You are correct @KirkB. Late last year HubSpot updated their import feature to allow 'Associated Objects'. We no longer need a temporary 'notes' property to house our historical notes.

Hope that helps.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

0 Upvotes
KirkB
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

I am good to go then Frank! Thanks very much for this assist!

8 Replies 8
KirkB
Participant

SOLVE

Each contact has a notes field. Approx 40% have actual text in the field.  Hoping the property I added will allow me to map correctly.

KirkB
Participant

SOLVE

Hi,

I have a notes column in my Excel spreadsheet; each row (contact) it's own notes in there with word-wrap. Probably 40% of my 800+ rows have some form of notes.

I created a propery in Contacts called "Notes-Pre HubSpot". 

The intent is to simply bring along historical notes so I don't lose them.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

This quick video will walk you through it @KirkB.

- see [MFJLabs VIDEO] HubSpot Import Notes (test-1910)

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
KirkB
Participant

SOLVE

Frank,

Excellent video, thank you!  It appears from your video that I can have my notes added diretly to the feed under each contact.  

So I will not need have the field in Properties called "Notes" then?

Your solution is much better than what I was coming up with. Let me know and I'll delete the notes property and do it your way.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

You are correct @KirkB. Late last year HubSpot updated their import feature to allow 'Associated Objects'. We no longer need a temporary 'notes' property to house our historical notes.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
KirkB
Participant

SOLVE

Frank,

I am actually reviewing you video now. What I don't understand is that you import the second spreadsheet called notes.  I have only 1 spreadsheet that has in each row all the contact information including company name AND the notes.

How should I create the second spreadsheet with the notes? And how will the system know how to match the notes in the second spreadsheet to the contacts in the first spreadsheet?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Kirk

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Sorry @KirkB. It's not you. It's me! haha Got interrupted while doing that video and forgot to add this xplainer image. (head shaking)mfjlabs-screenshot-hubspot-import-notes-separate-csv-files.png

Have a great weekend.

-ps

Maybe just import a note for one contact to see how it works before you ramp up to all 800. There's no 'undo' command, so ... wanna get it right the 1st time.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
KirkB
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

I am good to go then Frank! Thanks very much for this assist!