HubSpot Academy Support

timjmansfield

Starting from scratch - is separate Sales and Marketing even a good idea?

SOLVE

I'm running a very small company. I'm the CEO and I do most of the inbound marketing myself (with some help from our designer). I also do about 50% of the sales work, along with one of the founders.

I appreciate the way the course discusses aligning the Sales Team and the Marketing Team and this makes a lot of sense.

So my question is – as our company (hopefully) grows, should we hire a Sales and a Marketing team, or does it make more sense to create a single "Revenue Team" or a "New Business Team"?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
CasperKraken
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

I would definitely start with having one revenue driving team, especially if you are bootstrapping your growth, will be easier keeping everybody on the same page in regards to revenue needed.

Also, i have not tried this myself but I would think that splitting it up later on into sales and marketing teams from the revenue team, will be easier to keep the alignment instead of having to bring up to teams and then align them.  

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
KyleJepson
Solution
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

SOLVE

Hey @timjmansfield,

Sorry I'm slow responding--I just noticed your note!

As you hire individual people, you'll definitely want to have salespeople and marketers (the skill sets are pretty different), but you could have a single leader (Chief Revenue Officer) over all of them, especially in the early days. As your company grows, you'll need sales managers and marketing managers, but if you can continue to keep the two teams under a single organizational head, that would be huge.

I hope that helps!

Kyle

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
timjmansfield

SOLVE

Thanks both of you for your comments. That makes sense.

A bunch of the Sales Enablement course was about how to repair the divergent foci of sales and marketing. It's cool to think about organising things from this point so that they never really diverge.

0 Upvotes
KyleJepson
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

SOLVE

I love the idea--let us know how it goes!

0 Upvotes
KyleJepson
Solution
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

SOLVE

Hey @timjmansfield,

Sorry I'm slow responding--I just noticed your note!

As you hire individual people, you'll definitely want to have salespeople and marketers (the skill sets are pretty different), but you could have a single leader (Chief Revenue Officer) over all of them, especially in the early days. As your company grows, you'll need sales managers and marketing managers, but if you can continue to keep the two teams under a single organizational head, that would be huge.

I hope that helps!

Kyle

0 Upvotes
CasperKraken
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

I would definitely start with having one revenue driving team, especially if you are bootstrapping your growth, will be easier keeping everybody on the same page in regards to revenue needed.

Also, i have not tried this myself but I would think that splitting it up later on into sales and marketing teams from the revenue team, will be easier to keep the alignment instead of having to bring up to teams and then align them.  

0 Upvotes