APIs & Integrations

tysmithlondr
Participant

'hasUniqueValue' cannot be set on a contact property

SOLVE

I am attempting to add a property to contacts and set it as a unique value. I'm following the instructions given here to achieve this via the API. However, the API prevents me from doing so. Here is the request and response:
 Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 3.08.49 PM.png

There is a loosely related issue posted here where a response by a HubSpot Employee is very similar but not the same as what I'm seeing. It's currently under review.

Related to this issue, I tried to look up a contact using `idProperty` of a custom property "uid" which I created. I get an error saying "Contacts may only be looked up by 'email' as part of the unique property value request." This post references this exact issue and indicates that this issue is resolved - I find that to not be the case.

Seeing the error subCategory `Properties.CANNOT_SET_CONTACT_HAS_UNIQUE_VALUE` indicates this is intentional, but related discussions in forums and the lack of documentation around this restriction make me question that. Is this a true requirement?

We really need the ability to set and search by our own unique identifier for our contacts. Any help to that end would be deeply appreciated. 

1 Accepted solution
MichaelC
Solution
Guide | Partner
Guide | Partner

SOLVE
Well then we have an answer. Its simply not possible and if we want it we need to put it to the ideas board.

Need further help with integrations or business development?

Want to help me?

Go to the following links and read through the ideas. If you like them - give the idea an upvote

Upvote the following ideas:

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
gcummins
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @dennisedson  some of our customers have been contacting support re: the info shared above. Do we have any timelines on transitioning the contact objects to the latest version? Nothing I could see internally so it would be great if we have any specific postings to track either internally or externally for the customers? 

mcannizzo
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Also interested to know if/when this will be updated. I was able to set this value to true on custom objects just fine but have not been able to for contact & company object.

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@mcannizzo ,

Unfortunately, I do not have a solid timeline.  It is being worked on!

MichaelC
Solution
Guide | Partner
Guide | Partner

SOLVE
Well then we have an answer. Its simply not possible and if we want it we need to put it to the ideas board.

Want to help me?

Go to the following links and read through the ideas. If you like them - give the idea an upvote

tysmithlondr
Participant

SOLVE

Is that something I can/need to do? (I'm new to the community and unaware of how everything ties together)

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@tysmithlondr , you can.  It is here. But for this specific case, I don't think you need to as once we get the contacts object fully transistioned to the latest API, that property will be released from being read only

MichaelC
Guide | Partner
Guide | Partner

SOLVE

@dennisedson 

Documentation around this topic is poor.

I get the same response as @tysmithlondr  and can not create a hasuniquevalue for contacts either.

Reading up on contact properties (refered to from the properties API) https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/hubspots-default-contact-properties it states nothing about this.

Forward to product team if possible:

So - lack of documentation concerning the hasUniqueValue parameter. What objects are allowed to use this parameter?

Want to help me?

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@MichaelC , I believe the contact object is the exception to the rule.  It is due to some transitions from v1 - v3 so it won't always be the case

0 Upvotes
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@MichaelC , would you be able to assist here 😀

0 Upvotes