APIs & Integrations

Frapsi
Participant

get recently modified contacts without certain properties

SOLVE

I want to get recently modified contacts via Hubspot API.

But, what makes it a little bit difficult is that we are using the Salesforce-Sync and therefore one certain contact property will be updated very often as it stores the last sync time. So I am only interested in the modified contacts where one of the other properties was changed.

Is that somehow feasible?

I think I can only use the endpoint from version 1 (/contacts/v1/lists/recently_updated/contacts/recent)  but I am not sure whether the optional parameters cover that functionality.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
malcolm1
Solution
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

SOLVE

You are looking for a query ability something like this, using birthday as an example here: 

SELECT first_name,last_name FROM contacts WHERE birthday_last_modified_on > "2020/08/25"  

Unfortunately we don't have this ability. Instead we have to locate recently changed records then start looping through the property list looking at the properties we are interested in.  Assuming that we can easily find recently modified contacts, how are you going to know when a value has changed?

If the value was a default property then you should be able to look at the "versions" array for that property. 

Do custom properties have versions? It's not obvious from the documents that they do. So for custom properties you would need to track changes yourself. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
malcolm1
Solution
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

SOLVE

You are looking for a query ability something like this, using birthday as an example here: 

SELECT first_name,last_name FROM contacts WHERE birthday_last_modified_on > "2020/08/25"  

Unfortunately we don't have this ability. Instead we have to locate recently changed records then start looping through the property list looking at the properties we are interested in.  Assuming that we can easily find recently modified contacts, how are you going to know when a value has changed?

If the value was a default property then you should be able to look at the "versions" array for that property. 

Do custom properties have versions? It's not obvious from the documents that they do. So for custom properties you would need to track changes yourself. 

dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @Frapsi , 

Thanks for posting!  

To sum up the need 

You want to filter out the timestamp and get only contacts where another property has been modified.   Are you concerned with any specific properties or all other properties?

@Hanta , @malcolm1,  @adiehl do any of you all have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
Frapsi
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @dennisedson & @malcolm1 ,

thanks for your answers. You both understood my problem correctly 🙂

As @malcolm1  said, I can locate recently changed records with one of the given api endpoints and then start looping through the property list to find the ones that have been changed. But as contacts get synced with Salesforce and therefore one of the  custom properties (salesforse_last_sync) will change (almost) every day, this endpoint is useless for me. It will return an immensely large number of contacts and take too much time to identify only contacts where another property has been modified.

@dennisedson : It would be nice to have the ability to request only changes for certain properties (default and custom properties), but it would already help me to exclude this one 😉

Thanks for your help

malcolm1
Member | Gold Partner
Member | Gold Partner

SOLVE

You mentioned the "S*F*" word in the orginal message.

I'm sorry for your pain.

I have to deal with an app based on "S*F*" every day and I can tell you that I think it is a "S*F*" platform. 

0 Upvotes