APIs & Integrations

Hawk-Steve
Top Contributor

Zapier - Updating a deal based on something other than object ID

Hey All,

I'm looking to use zapier to update a deal based on a contact form submission. Since there is no matching functionality in HS workflow enrolment conditions, this can't be done natively on the platform at the moment. So if a contact has multiple deals this becomes a real challenge.

So far, I've successfully managed to setup Zapier to do the following:

1.  Contact is sent an email through a deal workflow that contains a link, including a tag of {{ deal.object_id }}. Ex. example.com?dealid=1234
  2. The contact clicks on the link and is taken to a page, where they are presented with a HS form to fill out. The form has a hidden field which auto populates with the deal ID found in the tag, ready for submission.
  3. Once the form is submitted, the contact record is updated and zapier triggers. Seeing the custom contact property, 'deal_id' has updated.
  4. Zapier runs an action, update deal record where object id matches the contact property 'deal_id'.
  5. A contact workflow clears the contact property after a day, ready for the next time the contact has a deal and fills out the form.

That's it, all good to go. However I have a couple of issues with the setup. What happens if link gets messed up along the way and is incorrect when the form is submitted? Zapier sees something has updated but can't match to the correct deal.

With this in mind, I'd like to use our booking reference number instead of the object ID, getting the contact to type it into the form and then have zapier find the correct deal based off of this instead. It's slightly more manual for the customer but will result in a lot less opportunities for failure.

Trying to set it up is where I hit a wall though, since zapier has Object ID as the required field. I'd need to set this action up to find the deal where the custom deal property (booking ref) matches the custom contact property (booking ref).

Capture.PNG

So finally, here's my question....Any pros out there know how I might be able to work around this issue? 🙂

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
dennisedson
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@Hawk-Steve 

Woah.  😅

@lynton , @michaelpalmer, @sackerly , @Marlev , @jpearson86  what do you think about this ☝️

0 Upvotes
Hawk-Steve
Top Contributor

You could say it's a bit of a mouthful @dennisedson  😅